Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-11-2009, 10:48 PM

bigblack is on a distinguished road

just tested my batch in the garage .025 salinity, 430 cal, 9 alk, 1320 for mag using elos kits. Now these are supposedly the numbers for rscs 490 cal, 7 alk, 1300 mag, test done by bertoni on his salt tests on rc. i'm in the same boat as you puff as i have 3 buckets of this stuff so would appreciate also your tests,
Old 03-11-2009, 11:21 PM

soups is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Well thats kind of the mystery here.

I for one am leaning towards same manufacturer but different product.
I was told by my LFS and many friends, that this salt has a better Mag leval then red sea salt. "People that actually use this salt"

BTW: We have to stop reading about so much bad advise on some products that we know nothing about. (Just Gossip after Gossip)

just My2cent

Last edited by soups; 03-11-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:52 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblack View Post
just tested my batch in the garage .025 salinity, 430 cal, 9 alk, 1320 for mag using elos kits. Now these are supposedly the numbers for rscs 490 cal, 7 alk, 1300 mag, test done by bertoni on his salt tests on rc. i'm in the same boat as you puff as i have 3 buckets of this stuff so would appreciate also your tests,
Yeah they are looking close, huh?

I will post the results friday evening or saturday morning after I mix up a batch of the Red Sea product and test it.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:11 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/?q=node/407

http://reefsaltanalysis.googlepages....lysis_0208.pdf
Old 03-12-2009, 12:35 AM

Hey I like that second link.

Whoa...lots of phosphates in Instant Ocean
Old 03-12-2009, 02:03 AM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

Geeze, got me thinkin, I just bought two buckets of H2O (normally use Instant Ocean, but they were out of stock) I am nearing the end of the first bucket now and have not noticed any signifigant change to the system (actually think it looked better before) I have some mixed for a change right now so took the time to test and see where it was at (never tested new mix before) This was what I came up with
Sample tested at 78deg.
51.7ms/34ppt/1.0252sg - Pinpoint monitor
KH 9.5 or 3.39mgl - Elos
Calc 440 - Salifert
Mag. 1360 - Salifert
PH 8.47 - Medusa colorometer
Nitrate 1.5ppm - Medusa colorometer
Phosphate 1.24ppm - Medusa colorometer

Considering they promote it as nitrate and phosphate free I was a little surprised that there was readings on both (water for makup is RO/DI with 0 TDS) I have a small amount of Instant Ocean left that I am going to mix and test to see if there is any signifigant difference to justify the additional price.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:08 AM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
OK People who are using it and clam to have tested it. Can we see some numbers!
I had posted the actual numbers that I got with the first 3 buckets I used a while back on here when people were asking about the salt, all numbers fell within the spectrum listed on the pail (I found them to be on the higher side of the spectrum). I just cracked open a new bucket last week, so when I do my next mixing in around 10 days I can measure it again if needed (but if anyone searches old treads on here for the H2Ocean salt you should be able to see my posted results, done with RO water).
Old 03-12-2009, 05:28 AM

FBNitro is on a distinguished road

I can see why someone would suggest that Red Sea Coral Pro and H2Ocean were the same, they have the same bucket, tie strap, bag etc. So, for sure they use the same packaging supplier.

I find that Alk is higher in H2Ocean than in Red Sea Coral Pro (I was using Red Sea Coral Pro until December, then I switched) but calcium is lower in the H2Ocean and I've had to start dosing it on a regular basis. I used to dose alk the day after a water change, now I've got a few days grace before it starts to get into the 'dose now' range.

I've got a 10 gallon Zoa/softy/LPS tank w/no skimmer, so I tend to notice the differences in the water pretty quick due to the frequent water changes.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:35 AM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

One thing to remember is that in many industries the same factory is used to produce a brands product, but the products are different in makeup. The factory time is basicly rented for the time used and whatever brand uses the facility still uses their own methods and materials. In this way a factory can produce many different brands of a item, but each brand's item would have some differences as, each item would be made to that brand's specs.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Man View Post
One thing to remember is that in many industries the same factory is used to produce a brands product, but the products are different in makeup. The factory time is basicly rented for the time used and whatever brand uses the facility still uses their own methods and materials. In this way a factory can produce many different brands of a item, but each brand's item would have some differences as, each item would be made to that brand's specs.
Yes and I would be willing to bet (as I said earlier) this is whats happening. I would go even further and say its the same salt with different trace elements added (or not added).

I am going to test to find out. I am very curious about the K+ reading for both.

I looked into it though and the Red Sea Coral Pro salt at Big Als is about the same price as the H2O salt anyways, so it really won't make a difference to me. I will keep using H2O as its been very good to me.

I would actually keep using Tropic Marin Pro if they still had a distributor in North America