Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-09-2016, 01:34 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef-Geek View Post
Thanks for the explanation Mindy, Berlin is so old school now

Does that mean any bio-medias can work cause they are definitely more porous than LR, Why not buy something cheap like:
http://www.jlaquatics.com/hagen-fluv...-500-gram.html

rather than the more expensive and hard to get Siporax? Is it proved Siporax work much better than other bio-medias, if so how much better?
Something about Siporax being made of glass and pore size makes it better, I think. I really haven't delved into it much. I just know it works to lower nutrients if you do it right.

Check out this monster thread, and maybe if you feel like sifting through all 669 replies (currently) you can come back and let us know what you learned! http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2526998 "Reefvet" is the biologist I was referring to earlier. I followed the thread for the first few pages, but not after that.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:22 AM

Reef-Geek is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the link, I didn't read the whole post but also don't know why this topic is so debatable, there should be a simple before and after comparison to proof it works, or not.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:51 AM

Potatohead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for the link, I didn't read the whole post but also don't know why this topic is so debatable, there should be a simple before and after comparison to proof it works, or not.
Bio-balls become a nitrate factory because they trap a bunch of junk and they're hard to clean, it has nothing really to do with anaerobic bacteria (bacteria which consumes nitrates) which is what you are trying to achieve by using these different medias. In order for anaerobic bacteria to live, they need low water flow and no oxygen. When you have a very porous material, like the sintered glass that Siporax or SubstratPro is made of, you are allowing anaerobic bacteria to live deep within those pores. Those pores don't exist in a bio-ball, it's just plastic. One bio-ball has about seven square inches of surface area. How many are in a liter? Let's be generous and say 25, so in a litre you have around 175 square inches of surface area. In a litre of Siporax, there's 2900 square FEET.

Now, as I said earlier do you really NEED that much surface area, especially if you have ample live rock or other medias? I think the jury is still out, but you can never have too much, the question is whether that extra surface area allows anaerobic bacteria to live and/or thrive. Sera says on their site Siporax does work when used in large quantities. I know some guys online are using like three or four litres per ten gallons, which isn't exactly cheap and needs a lot of space. The other question is can you use biopellets or carbon dosing etc and a much smaller amount of media and achieve the same end result? Usually you can.

Last edited by Myka; 08-11-2016 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Coreected lots/no oxygen
Old 08-09-2016, 05:28 AM
Zoa Hoarder

davej is on a distinguished road

Just a note to clarify.
anaerobic by definition :

Occurring in the absence of oxygen or not requiring oxygen to live. Anaerobic bacteria produce energy from food molecules without the presence of oxygen.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:29 AM

Potatohead is on a distinguished road

I stand corrected... I think the same principle applies however
Old 08-11-2016, 04:22 AM

emerald crab is on a distinguished road

I use "Hydroton", it works fine for me. I've been using it for 5-6 years and I'm happy with it.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:32 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It's debatable because there is so much incorrect anecdotal evidence. There are lots of people out there that are using these products and NOT achieving an anaerobic zone, and thus they are not successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
I stand corrected... I think the same principle applies however
I edited it and corrected it for you. The rest of your post is spot on.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:39 PM
Zoa Hoarder

davej is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanreefer View Post
Hi
For those using siporax where did u get it? Are there any Canadian vendors?
Cheers
VR
Hawaiian botanicals in richmond carries them. No clue as to their pricing, probably not cheap.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:33 PM

Reef-Geek is on a distinguished road

I just found BigShowFrags have them on sale for $10/L if anyone is still interested.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:17 PM

kaboom is on a distinguished road

What is the most effective way to run siporax, in a media reactor or in a sock passively in the sump?