Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-30-2003, 04:49 AM

Van down by the river is on a distinguished road
Default Digital Camera recommendations

I am looking for some camera recommendations.
What I'm looking for (if it's possible in one camera):

- Good macro photography capabilities.
- Underwater housing available.
- Under $600 Suggestions for under $1100 are okay too.
- 3 Mega pixels or better
- flexible settings/user friendly

Your comments are appreciated
Old 10-30-2003, 05:42 AM

spikehs is on a distinguished road

the nikon coolpix series are all resonably priced, plus have great macros, haven't owned one yet myself. check out www.dpreview.com for lots of reviews/info
Old 10-30-2003, 01:31 PM

psuedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to psuedo

go with a canon camera. You just can't go wrong. I have the A60, and am now regretting not getting the A70. ( megapixel difference ) I have had some great pictures from my camera.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:03 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

I own a Fuji, but would have to say that if you were to stick with Nikon or Cannon. You would find a great camera. The underwater housing is going to be hard. Usually the lower priced (under $1000.00) won't have the demand for specialty items like that.

By the way I love my Fuji s602
I wanted the Macro features with the zoom (210). Take note of the minimum focus distance. Most cameras are about 3" My Fuji is 1mm

Jason
Old 10-30-2003, 03:18 PM

dbdavid is on a distinguished road

I just bought my Fuji S602PRO a couple of months ago and it has been an awsome camera this far. There are a number of very good cameras out there but the Fuji best fit my needs. It has a 6X optical zoom and a very good macro function. It has the look and feel of a SLR camera which I like, as well it has all of the manual functions if you prefer operating it that way. It has 2 media slots, one for up to 128M Smart Media and the other is a Compact Flash that currently supports up to 2.2G of data. There is a underwater housing available but it is very expensive.
With this camera you can also get pretty good movies with sound that will record untill the memory is full (about 45min with the 1G CF microdrive).
One of the best things is that it uses AA Batteries so if your rechargeable batteries run out you can always go to the ocorner store in an emergency.
Anyway, I am happy with mine... good luck shopping!

Dave
Old 10-30-2003, 03:47 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

There are a fair number of models of digital camera that have underwater housings available. The only catch is that underwater housings tend to be very expensive, at the very least rivalling, or more likely even surpassing the cost of the digital camera itself... But other than that downside there are surprisingly neat models on the market.

Check this out:
http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/1digital.html
Old 10-30-2003, 06:13 PM

kris is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to kris Send a message via MSN to kris

well i will add my sugestion... a little over 1000 but i think its well worth it. i put forth the cyber-shot DSCF717 I have used this camera many many times and love it. I have put it through its test, using it for action, distance, macro. The other thing is to get the highest mega pixle you can aford. the more pixles the clearer the image.

Cheers!
Old 10-31-2003, 03:09 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakets
I wanted the Macro features with the zoom (210). Take note of the minimum focus distance. Most cameras are about 3" My Fuji is 1mm

Jason
you meen 1 cm.

I will give the S602z a thumbs up also.. it has a full auto mode where anyone can get good pics granted you take a lot but the reason I bought this one over 1.5 years ago now is for the fact that I can go full manual. another couple important features are, 1 a users setable "custom white ballance", 2 a good macro and 3, a good range of shutter speeds and apature settings. The S602 has all of them.

this Camera was 1500.00 when i bought it but I have seen places selling it for under 1000.00 now and with the ability to add on telephoto, wideangle, and macro lenses combined with the capibility to use any 55mm filter it is a great all in one package.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:31 AM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Sorry ya 1 cm. Another feature I love about it is the manual focus it is on the lens like a regular SLR. The cannon models use buttons to manual focus.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:01 AM

monza is on a distinguished road

I've been looking at this 4500

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp4500/page2.asp

Takes killer Macros!

dave