Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 09-10-2012, 04:59 AM

nanoreefnewbie is on a distinguished road
Smile 20 gallon nano reef

First off I'm gunna start up by introducing myself,as you can see by user name I'm new into the marine world...very deep into freshwater with 3 tanks a 160 gallon,30 gallon and a fluval chi...winter fast approaching in Calgary Alberta Canada needed a hooby too keep me out of trouble ...

Now for my first nano reef aquarium... As I said before it's a 20 gallon( really 17.5 gallons)..i know it's abit small for my first tank but liked the rimless design and impulse buy lol... For my heater its a fluval brand rated for 60 gallons kinda over kill but on sale...my filter is a marineland hob with bio wheel...should I even ever use bio wheel read that they are nitrite not nitrate factory.. true or false?? I'm also using a marineland led light was told it can support coral frag ect.. I've got a kydro circulation and wave pump rated 750 gph... I plan on getting a protein skimmer once cycled or should I run while I cycle tank?? Oh and I'm running a filter/ carbon pad..bad or good? I've notice saltwater not reef booby is very opinionated ..something might work great for one person needs not for another I've been noticing..

For my live stock sorta...I'm using Fiji rock..I've got 40 lbs..over kill?? 38 lbs dry dead rock and 2lbs live too seed it...there are mixed review on this..any opinions ?? And 20-25 lbs live sand for a nice thick sand bed... I've used nothing but RO water with saltwater tap water conditioner not sure if I should??

Any suggestions or opinions would be awesome except rude ones I'm new and and don't need the slack if I'm doing wrong let me know in a non rude way and I'll learn that's what this Site is for...
Old 09-10-2012, 05:15 AM

Northernseacorals is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum mate;

The tank was an impulse purchase eh; I think it will make a good home for some entertaining critters, one word of caution about impulse purchasing; saltwater impulses can often turn out bad, so study up if you want a new fish, coral or invertabrit.

The filter will get you going; I would personally not run the bio wheels, and investing in a good used skimmer as soon as possible will server you well. The heater will be okay too, one of the most important pieces of equipment you could have would be a refractometer, look on www.aliexpress.com for one, can be ordered from there for around $19; and identicle to what stores here charge $50 bucks for.

The choice to use dry/live mixed rock is a good one, it's not let me down before.

Be patient, read lots and understand you are going to have some problems; most; if not all can be handled though educating yourself on community sites like this.

Don't take cranky people to seriously :-) it suppose to be fun after all.

Enjoy you're time here.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernseacorals View Post
Welcome to the forum mate;

The tank was an impulse purchase eh; I think it will make a good home for some entertaining critters, one word of caution about impulse purchasing; saltwater impulses can often turn out bad, so study up if you want a new fish, coral or invertabrit.

The filter will get you going; I would personally not run the bio wheels, and investing in a good used skimmer as soon as possible will server you well. The heater will be okay too, one of the most important pieces of equipment you could have would be a refractometer, look on www.aliexpress.com for one, can be ordered from there for around $19; and identicle to what stores here charge $50 bucks for.

The choice to use dry/live mixed rock is a good one, it's not let me down before.

Be patient, read lots and understand you are going to have some problems; most; if not all can be handled though educating yourself on community sites like this.

Don't take cranky people to seriously :-) it suppose to be fun after all.

Enjoy you're time here.
thank you for your reply first i guess i worded that wrong the rim less tank was a impulse buy but the idea n desicion has been set 6 months ago...ive been slowly patently waiting for sales on equipment ect...summer was starting and was too busy enjoying in the sun ...thus ive watched hundreds of videos, scowered the net for info but again this hobby is very opinunated...i should run the skimmer while cycling??and i have a refractometer and all the nessary chemicals ect n cleaning stuff ive got pretty much everything but protein skimmer...i think lol..i know patience is key too,what do you mean problems??oh i wont take them serous they will be ignored lol..im having soo much fun with this hoping too learn stuff alone the way
Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 AM

lpsreefer is on a distinguished road

You don't need a protein skimmer for cycling.
Not a bad start. A good refractometer is the best.
Good timing too as we have a nano contest starting up. So you can see what we do as reference.
If you have any questions just ask as you well get more information on here they at most Local fish shops(lfs) as we aren't trying to sell you anything.
Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:42 PM

Awesome ill buy the skimmer now soo when needed I won't be screwed lol...and again I've got a good refractometer not a hydrometer ( garbage)..i very cool I look forward too seeing others tanks..and yeah I've been noticing if it's in a marine or reef books its true...thank you for all the advice and help all
Old 09-10-2012, 01:56 PM

Lightbulb

Oh also forgot too add my light schdual too see if that is right..before I said that I'm running a marineland LED with 8 lights 4 moon. 12 super bright lights in total.8 am 830 very latest turn on in morning same time at night roughly 8pmish into darkness for a good hour or two then moonlight on while I sleep till 8 am..good or bad light schdual???
Old 09-10-2012, 02:04 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

20 gallons can be a great size. You've got some room for some interesting livestock, and the bulk of the work regarding water quality can be done with easily manageable water changes.

As Matt indicated, keep your eye on this forum section:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=233

The gloves are coming off and a few of us are doing "nano battle." You might get some good ideas.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:34 PM

Smile

Awsome thank you for not saying tank is too small thought it would be cool rimless nano reef yea was told many times that water changes are soo huge on a tank this size like having too do them important not the 2 gallon water change lol...and it starts Oct 1 for six months I might sign up now be last ones too enter in pics ect...
Old 09-10-2012, 02:36 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoreefnewbie View Post
it starts Oct 1 for six months I might sign up now be last ones too enter in pics ect...

absolutely sign up ,the contest is for everyone both new and experienced

we hope to see you on the field soldier!!:P:P
Old 09-10-2012, 02:41 PM

I'll be on the battle field jus signed up...this hobby is getting fun hopefully ill be standing at the end of the war lol

Tags
marine, nano, reef, saltwater