Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-13-2009, 07:37 AM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

Well Tony and I had a great lunch and caught up on each others lives a bit ... it was PACKED and the owners of the restaurant are very nice people

I emigrated from Jamaica 30 yrs ago and even back then in Kingston if you decided you would not eat in a restaurant because something bad had happened there you would starve

It is not like this restaurant in SE Calgary is a known gang hangout .... it is just a restaurant that happens to serve some very good Vietnamese food

I will definately be going back next week as a friend of mine that I used to work with wants to go now that I gave him a review of the soup

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 02-13-2009, 05:07 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
[Heavily edited, my first attempt was a bit hasty]

I'm sorry you've yourself witnessed such terrible atrocities. That's a heavy burden to bear. I would think you as witness to such things should thus be able to empathize more than the average person with the people who were there.

Yes, it did hit close to home for me, because I had been there at this place only hours before with my young children. I am one of the naive people of the world that believes if you do good to others, hopefully less bad will be done to you. I know it really isn't that way, but you have to have a belief system of some kind. I'm sorry that I felt bad about it and felt compelled to share my grief here and that this act of posting it makes it seem like I don't care about bad things that happen elsewhere. If you knew me at all you'd know that is not the case. I know there is a lot of crime in the lower mainland too .. heck I was a victim of it myself a few years ago. Nothing as serious as witnessing a murder though.

My intent for resurrecting this thread was to let others know, as this restaurant in question has (had) a very loyal following, that they have reopened, so people can go there once again.

Peace be with you..
Don't apologize for anything Tony...

It certainly would hit close to home for most people. Perhaps if you grow up in terrible areas such as the downtown east side here in Vancouver then maybe something like this is the norm and you can continue with your day as nothing happened...oh wait, for all the problems down there, there are not too many murders... I worked right on the edge of the downtown east side here and never got used to it. I lived in Miami where there are basically murders everyday. I lived in Toronto that makes Vancouver look very safe...Who cares? If it happens in your neigborhood, you should be shocked and it should hit close to home...when it doesn't anymore, there is a problem.

What difference does it make that in other parts of the world murder is the norm? I don't understand this logic and find it very ignorant. Just because its worse somewhere else doesn't mean you ignore the problems close to home. So since Colombia or Africa have major violence problems, we are not suppose to be shocked when it happens in our neighborhoods? LOL. Unless of course you have seen someone shot point blank...

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 02-13-2009 at 05:10 PM.