Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-11-2009, 07:14 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Go now, there's a good chance you'll get interviewed! Place is totally infested with media. I only narrowed avoided getting interviewed by CTV, although me taking off my shirt and asking if they could see belly button lint might have swayed them off onto someone else for some reason.

I'm going again on Friday. Wild horses could not drag me away from this place. Oh it was a scene, I gave her a hug, we were both crying .. etc. I'm so happy they've decided to keep going with the restaurant.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:24 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Go now, there's a good chance you'll get interviewed!
That's an hour drive into the city for me LOL I'll go Saturday. I too though am glad that they've decided to keep it open. Some of the best Satay Beef Soup on the planet. MMMMMMMMMM
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:31 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Hey, it's an hour to an hour and a half's drive for me to get to Red Coral, and that doesn't stop me .. err, actually, yes I guess it kind of does... never mind.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:34 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

6 shootings in 7 days in Greater Vancouver area. 7 in 8 if you count today's gun fight.
As for close to home, there has been several killings in my block within the past couple of years.

Last edited by Samw; 02-11-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:23 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

Usually when I come into the city and am not working at the shop I'll travel all over the city to get what I need. There's no marine shops...or reall fish shops in Strathmore, so I head into Calgary. Great...now I want soup. Thanks Tony
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 PM

Anytime !!! Happy to help.

Hey, and I'm not uttering a word of exagerration here .. I just had some at 12 and 2:30 now and I'm ready to go back. BEST PHO EVER! w00t!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:40 PM

KennyKen is on a distinguished road

agreed best soup in Calgary.
Dan and Viet are 2 of the nicest people around, and im simply ecstatic that this whole ordeal didn't stop their dream for a better life.

Time for a large bowl of satay, extra spicy.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Forgive me for this offtopic post but this is the closest brush with this sort of thing for me yet. I just need to get this off my chest.

Not only is this my favourite restaurant, I had just had lunch there. Any other day of the week this would have been packed with my coworkers as it is one of the best Vietnamese soup around (my personal favourite), and it's right by my office, and the owners are the sweetest people you'll ever meet. I take my kids to this restaurant. I take my cats to the vetrinarian next door.

And now three people are dead, shot while dining inside.

Words cannot express my profound sadness and confusion at this moment in time.

My heart goes out to the owners of the restaurant. They are the sweetest people you could ever meet and they came to Canada presumably trying to find a better life for their family.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

I didn't read this whole thread, so pardon my ineptitude, but It's kind of shocking to think that this one incident that hit too close to for an individual is everyday life for a good portion of the human race.
Go to Africa or Columbia and the weirdest thing about people getting shot in a vietnamese restaurant is the fact that there was a vietnamese restaurant there to get shot in.

even here in Canada
I work just down the street from the downtown eastside in Vancouver, it's a reality check everytime i walk or drive through.
Sometimes I just take the long way home to witness what true disparity looks like, I've seen one guy, younger than me (I'm 26) get murdered (shot, point blank) for no reason by a guy he'd never met before.
I've seen alleyways more populated than some malls with people devoid of hope and concern for anything other than numbing it all and not shopping for material goods, but drugs.
I am by no means an activist or anything like a charitable guy, but I think that as a race, a human race, that these types of things are only going to get closer to home and we all better start to open our eyes to the problems next door and down the street if we don't want them to move in permanently.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:51 PM

[Heavily edited, my first attempt was a bit hasty]

I'm sorry you've yourself witnessed such terrible atrocities. That's a heavy burden to bear. I would think you as witness to such things should thus be able to empathize more than the average person with the people who were there.

Yes, it did hit close to home for me, because I had been there at this place only hours before with my young children. I am one of the naive people of the world that believes if you do good to others, hopefully less bad will be done to you. I know it really isn't that way, but you have to have a belief system of some kind. I'm sorry that I felt bad about it and felt compelled to share my grief here and that this act of posting it makes it seem like I don't care about bad things that happen elsewhere. If you knew me at all you'd know that is not the case. I know there is a lot of crime in the lower mainland too .. heck I was a victim of it myself a few years ago. Nothing as serious as witnessing a murder though.

My intent for resurrecting this thread was to let others know, as this restaurant in question has (had) a very loyal following, that they have reopened, so people can go there once again.

Peace be with you..

Last edited by Delphinus; 02-12-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:59 PM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Man View Post
There seems to be more and more shootings in the last little while. I think it is about time the laws are changed to make punishment for gun crimes more severe. When guys are getting arrested for gun possesion and then getting off on bail a day or two later what can we expect. Now put a minimum 5 year term for possesion of a firearm and see what happens.
Five years for illegal possession of a firearm is already a law. Ever heard of anyone getting that sentence. NOPE.

Glad to hear they are back up and running. Hopefully they can put this tragedy in the past and business will boom for the people involved.