Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-28-2009, 03:50 PM

JOEL is on a distinguished road
Default glue gun

Is hot glue gun glue reef safe
Old 11-28-2009, 07:32 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I believe so. Anthony Calfo recommended using one for securing coral in one of his articles. I've tried it though and it didnt work very well. I think you need to make sure both surfaces are dry in order for the glue to hold.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 11-29-2009, 08:42 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

I think I've read that article... I remember wondering if all glue gun glue sticks were created equal. I've always assumed it was just a low temperature thermoplastic and it should be relatively inert, but... ?
Old 11-29-2009, 03:53 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAbyss View Post
I think I've read that article... I remember wondering if all glue gun glue sticks were created equal. I've always assumed it was just a low temperature thermoplastic and it should be relatively inert, but... ?
there are several differnt type of glue gun sticks, from alpurpose low temp, all purpose high temp, to plastic specifice. I would be concerned about the heat involved killing off some of the coral.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:10 PM
bvlester

so what would you recomend insted for mounting a largish piece of monti to a piece of rock?
I have a couple pieses I have prieviously monted one piece tat kind of formed the same shape of the rock it is mounted to almost perfictly so I used gel super glue by titon. These pieces do not conform to the rock that I have and will have very little area to mount there for I believe that I will need a different method.

Bill
Old 11-29-2009, 04:27 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvlester View Post
so what would you recomend insted for mounting a largish piece of monti to a piece of rock?
I have a couple pieses I have prieviously monted one piece tat kind of formed the same shape of the rock it is mounted to almost perfictly so I used gel super glue by titon. These pieces do not conform to the rock that I have and will have very little area to mount there for I believe that I will need a different method.

Bill
reef epoxy sticks
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.