Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 11-12-2006, 09:30 PM

pandafishowner is on a distinguished road
Default 2x4 and plywood tank stand?

ok, i changed my mind about a new tank stand again. i need something stable and closed in so my kids and cats can't get to anything. i drew out a really cheap plan of what i'm thinking. if anyone thinks it'll will or won't work, let me know and why. i'm hoping to get the supplies closer to my moving date of Dec 1st. i want the stand ready for when we move our tanks though.

anyway this is what i'm thinking of.

im hoping to make the stand 30 inches high. it'll have to be 30 inches wide by 12 inches because of my tank dimensions. i plan to have about a 2 inch space where i'll place plywood, and then some soft styrafoam for the tank to sit on. this way the bottom of the tank sits "inside" the extra space. i'll also add two 2x4 pieces around the 10inch marks along the length of the tank to add support where the plywood will sit on. in the middle of the stand, i'm going to put a plywood shelf held onto the 2x4s with braces. the sides and back of the stand will be covered with plywood. the front will have 2 pieces of plywood with door handles, hinged on the outer 2x4s that will close over the middle 2x4. i'm guessing i'll need about 30 feet of 2x4s (will probably buy more than that though).

anyway, the picture isn't the greatest but it gives you the general idea. let me know if it'll work. if something should be changed, etc. i just really am not going to go and spend money on another cheap wal-mart one.

50g cube SW tank (24x24x20) w/20g sump and internal overflow box, Coralife 24" 2 x 65W Aqualight, skimmer, and 2x HOB filters
It has approx 35lbs live rock, clownfish, 1 black & white saddleback clownfish, asst'd mushrooms, asst'd zoas, gsp, turbo and other snails, blue legged, halloween and other hermit crabs, tuxedo urchin

10g FW tank with...
Current occupants are cardinal tetras and ameca splendons
Old 11-12-2006, 09:57 PM

Kabong is on a distinguished road

I made the stand for my 50 basically the same and it turned out fine.
For best support you want your top horizontal 2x4's to be resting on top of your vertical ones.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:37 PM

ok, that sounds good. i could do that. but i really want the edges of the tank to have something blocking it. so maybe i'd make the stand a bit wider so i could frame the plywood with 2x4s? i don't want my tank to just sit on top of plywood. i want it to sit inside a frame.

50g cube SW tank (24x24x20) w/20g sump and internal overflow box, Coralife 24" 2 x 65W Aqualight, skimmer, and 2x HOB filters
It has approx 35lbs live rock, clownfish, 1 black & white saddleback clownfish, asst'd mushrooms, asst'd zoas, gsp, turbo and other snails, blue legged, halloween and other hermit crabs, tuxedo urchin

10g FW tank with...
Old 11-12-2006, 10:57 PM

Kabong is on a distinguished road

Just build it flat top like mine.
Then add some molding around the front and side's to get the lip look you want.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:17 PM

Cazoom is on a distinguished road
Default edges

Funny i thought the same about having an edge....
when a 50 gal is full it weighs over 400 lbs... it aint gonna slip off..!!!
i don't put lips or edges on my stands anymore unless i'm trying to hide the plastic tank moulding..
Old 11-12-2006, 11:26 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazoom View Post
Funny i thought the same about having an edge....
when a 50 gal is full it weighs over 400 lbs... it aint gonna slip off..!!!
i don't put lips or edges on my stands anymore unless i'm trying to hide the plastic tank moulding..
I don't know. When I first read the first post I took it to mean that the desire is to conceal the styrofoam.....not keep the tank from falling off. Maybe not.

Cheers,
Old 11-13-2006, 12:06 AM

i want the edge because i hate the black base of the tank showing. plus yes i do want to cover the styrafoam and plywood from sight. i'm not so much concerned about the tank falling. it's gotta weigh a couple hundred pounds anyway, i just don't want stuff showing that'll make it look uglier. lol

10g FW tank with...
Old 11-13-2006, 12:17 AM

Neil is on a distinguished road

put the 2x4's across the top, ontop of the vertical legs for added support. plans look good- with that middle brace/ leg in there i think that stand will have no problems holding the weight of 3 of those tanks
Old 11-13-2006, 01:09 AM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

being an artist, I have to say I like your drawings

no really. don't ask lol
Old 11-13-2006, 01:12 AM

lol normally i paint or sketch. i drew that last night in maybe 5 mins. i redrew it. give me a few mins to re-scan it and i'll post the new pic

ok i have the new one scanned. i saw some base boards at home depot or rona that are rounded. i could even use those so it gives a finished touch to it instead of 2x4s.

10g FW tank with...

Last edited by pandafishowner; 11-13-2006 at 01:20 AM.