Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-09-2006, 04:10 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer
Default Electrically Challenged

Forgive me, please, for starting another thread on electricity. I’ve read through other threads but I still have questions. It’s always been a foreign language for me. I dropped out of Electricity 9 after one day. The teacher was talking about Ohm’s Law that first class. Teachers usually cover basics on the first day. If Ohm’s Law was basic theory, I knew right away I was destined for a big, fat F had I stuck with it.

I’m moving in December to a condo. I’m upgrading my Reef and FOWLR systems at the same time. The Reef is most likely going to go in the bedroom. I’ve calculated the system power load to be 2,096 Watts. Add to this room lights, clock, etc. and I estimate a demand of 2,176W for that room.
I can’t scope out the actual residence for more detail until December 1st, but I wish to address any power issues ASAP on possession. Hence my preliminary research here. I suspect there is only one 15 Amp circuit going into the bedroom as this is probably standard, correct?

Here is a picture of the breaker panel, provided by the home inspection company, FWIW. Sorry it’s not a close-up. It is described as a 125 Amp 120/240 Volt panel.

Is it possible to determine from this picture how many circuits currently exist?

The inspector also stated in his report that there is room for future upgrades. So my main question basically is…if there is only one circuit currently supplying the bedroom, is it a big job to provide a second circuit to this space?
Does this mean running new wires to this space and installing new receptacles and ripping open walls to carry out this work? …..or can it all somehow be done right at the panel alone (ie: splitting the existing receptacles up)?

Also,….any ideas how much per hour electricians charge these days?

On a side note…..here is a picture of the panel in the apartment I currently reside in:

There are 6 x 15 Amp circuits. I calculate that to be 90 Amps. So why is 70 Amp “Main Lugs” indicated?…..and then to further confuse things there is a 60 Amp notation also. This is just one example of why this stuff is sooooo confusing to me. I just don't get it.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and thanx much for your time,
Old 11-09-2006, 09:16 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

From the picture, in the panel you have spots left for 2 more circuits. You might already have 2 circuits to the bedroom but chances are the lights on one, outlets on another.

Though not by any means impossible to run a new wires, it can be a pain. You don't need to open up the whole wall but can do things like cutting a 2" wide horizontal strip, or a series of small access holes that's not that hard to patch. If you're lucky you might also have an outlet in an ajoining room or hall that you can bring into the bedroom with the tank (eg. two bedrooms sharing a common wall).
Old 11-09-2006, 09:18 PM

Cazoom is on a distinguished road
Default read the box

as the label in the box states that is a 70 amp service box.. if you calculate 90 amps you are overloading it....hazard!!!!!
get a qualified electrician to come in and put in a 100/200 box and rewire it properly!!! its well worth it in the long run...
Old 11-09-2006, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazoom View Post
as the label in the box states that is a 70 amp service box.. if you calculate 90 amps you are overloading it....hazard!!!!!
get a qualified electrician to come in and put in a 100/200 box and rewire it properly!!! its well worth it in the long run...
70 amp is the old panel

Johnny_Reefer said the new place is 125A.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:33 PM

Cazoom is on a distinguished road
Default first things first!!

okay the new box looks okay.. can't tell the total load (stated as 125 but usually 100 or 200??)
to get more to the bedroom in new place you are going to have to run new wires..plugs .and a new breaker.. it ain't gonna be cheap...AND
you are gonna have to check your condo rules to see if you are allowed to do so....first....it sucks owning the living space but not able to do as you choose to it!!!check first..!!
and in your place you are in now!!!! The box states on the sticker 70 amps...correct!
if that is right and you calculate 90 amps in fuses.. you are at risk of an overload and fire...it should be 70 amps of fuses max...
doesnt matter if there are empty spots.. the total amp must not be overfused and it is!!! do that to your car and you burn wires!!!
i'd have it checked...
Old 11-09-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Though not by any means impossible to run a new wires, it can be a pain. You don't need to open up the whole wall but can do things like cutting a 2" wide horizontal strip, or a series of small access holes that's not that hard to patch. ....
Sounds like a bigger job than I'd like to take on then. If the room does have only one circuit then I think I'll shift gears and put the FOWLR in the bedroom instead. I calculate it to require 1,369W, which will work. I'm sure I'll find more than one circuit in the living area to distribute the reef tank wattage. I just didn't want to put the reef in the living area 'cause I foresee the MH's being a bit annoying while watching TV. Something to get used to I suppose. Thanx for your reply.

Quote:
Still doesn't make sense to me. 6 x 15 = 90, not 70. Anyhoo, I'm quite certain that I'm not overloaded on it. Both my FW tanks are shut down now and the Reef and FOWLR are currently running skimmerless, so I'm running quite a bit less power now than I have before. Never once have I blown a fuse in the place, so I should be okay. Thanx for your reply.

Quote:
70 amp is the old panel

Johnny_Reefer said the new place is 125A.
Yes, thanx for that. The 70 Amp is the place I'm moving out of. It's a rental and thus not my concern.

Thanx again for the help and cheers,
Old 11-10-2006, 04:39 AM

Quote:
and in your place you are in now!!!! The box states on the sticker 70 amps...correct!
if that is right and you calculate 90 amps in fuses.. you are at risk of an overload and fire...it should be 70 amps of fuses max...
doesnt matter if there are empty spots.. the total amp must not be overfused and it is!!! do that to your car and you burn wires!!!
i'd have it checked...
I just saw this post now. Well, I guess the tenant before me....8 1/2 years ago....put those fuses in cause I know I didn't. So they should be 12 Amp fuses I'm surmising then? I guess I've been lucky all these years.

Thanx for that and cheers,
Old 11-10-2006, 04:59 AM

Coderad is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

The new panel has room for 2 more circuits as mark said. Depending on how close the panel is to where you wish to add the extra circuit will determine the amount of damage to do so.
As for the old panel it is "safe" just not up to code. Circuit can only be loaded to %80 of wire ampacity, 14 gauge=15 amp max load 12 amps.
So it is a little over 70amps but at worst if overloaded, it would trip the main fuse feeding your panel, inconvienent not fire hazzard.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:03 AM

I've got a 125A panel with spots for 48 breakers.

There is a minumin number of circuits required based on the size of service then usually additional based on what the loads are (as some things require dedicated ccts). It's not expected nor is it likely that each breaker will be running 100% and if that ever was to happen then you are protected by the main service breaker.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:07 AM

Coderad is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
I've got a 125A panel with spots for 48 breakers.

There is a minumin number of circuits required based on the size of service then usually additional based on what the loads are (as some things require dedicated ccts). It's not expected nor is it likely that each breaker will be running 100% and if that ever was to happen then you are protected by the main service breaker.
Yes that is correct, what I was trying to say but alot simpler.