Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-05-2009, 04:40 AM

Snaz is on a distinguished road
Default Buying RO / DI - I know nothing

My folks will be buying an all in one Nano in the near future and the subject of water came up. I think we are going to install for them an RO/DI unit as they are already buying bottled spring water and an RO/DI unit will fill both roles, great drinking water and great reef water.

I know the concepts of RO/DI filtration but I do not know the name brands or setup or costs so any help would be appreciated. Their tank will probably be 32 gallons or less and so weekly water changes would be around 3 gallons. They drink on average 6 gallons a week(one 20 litre bottle) for a total of less than 10 gallons a week.

I originally thought of installing in the laundry room of the basement but the thought of them dragging the water up the stairs has me thinking installing on the main floor a better idea, maybe under the kitchen sink?

Where do I start for my research? What brands should I be looking at? Thanks much.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:43 AM

subman is on a distinguished road

I saw a unit at costco with a spout for the sink but I don't know if it's "reef grade" It look nice I was thinking of picking it up for myself. I'll try to find more info.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:54 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

You do know that RO/DI water isn't suitable for drinking, right? You have to unhook the DI part to just get RO for drinking, and buy the drinking water add-on. You can buy a pressure tank so you get RO water on demand, then just hook up the DI part when you want to make water for your reef. Or you can just use the 20 litre jugs (which are actually 5g, not 6).

Since you're in Surrey, your tap water won't be too bad, so you should look for a 4 stage. One each (in order); sediment, carbon, RO, DI. Imo brands really don't matter much, but the better brands are less breakable as they use better components for their fittings and housings. The cartridges should all be a standard size, so you don't have to worry about the brand of cartridges too much. I wouldn't buy anything less than 50 gpd otherwise it takes a long time to fill up a 5g jug. There will be a flow restrictor in the lines somewhere and it's rating needs to match the RO cartridge's rating. If you decide you want to upgrade to faster you just replace the flow restrictor (cheap), and get a matching RO cartridge when you do your first filter changes. 100 gpd units are less efficient and you will end up burning up your DI quicker. You can buy an optional flush kit (about $15-20) that will flush your RO membrane which is supposed to lengthen the life of the RO membrane. Some people think they work, others don't. I figure for $15, might as well try. The longer and more often you flush the better (like say flush for 2-3 mins after every use).

Bulk Reef Supply has some great RO/DI units that start at $189 I think and they use good fittings and housings. I have an AquaFX Barracuda 4-stage and I am very happy with it...the price has gone up lots in the last couple years though I think they are like $230 now when I only paid $189 for mine a year and a half ago. Generally, if you spend $200 on a 4-stage you will be getting a good quality product. Much less than that and you're buying an econo brand.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 04-05-2009 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:58 AM

subman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
You do know that RO/DI water isn't suitable for drinking, right? You have to unhook the DI part to just get RO for drinking, and buy the drinking water add-on. You can buy a pressure tank so you get RO water on demand, then just hook up the DI part when you want to make water for your reef. Or you can just use the 20 litre jugs (which are actually 5g, not 6).
Oh OK nevermind!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
You do know that RO/DI water isn't suitable for drinking, right?
Hmm no I did not know this. Why would that be? Pure water is pure water no? Thank you for your reply.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:11 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

DI water tastes like crap. It's no worse (or any different) than drinking RO or distilled water. In the end, it's all "pure" water. It's actually not good to drink any form of "pure" water as your main source of water as it lacks essential minerals for healthy living. Natural mineral water is much better for you.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:24 AM

jsmth321 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jsmth321

I use a Aqua FX but without the DI. (Just sediment, carbon and then R/O membrane.) I decided against the DI as I get 0 TDS without it, and the water out here isn't that bad, and I have never had any issues.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
It's actually not good to drink any form of "pure" water as your main source of water as it lacks essential minerals for healthy living. Natural mineral water is much better for you.
Sorry but this is some old wive's tale. Water is needed by your body as a source of water, nothing else. Your minerals, salts etc. you get from your food.

The only possible consequence of drinking pure water is you miss out on the probable benefits of fluoride that the water company adds for your teeth.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:53 AM

animalcrossing is on a distinguished road

ive picked up a unit on e-bay for 99.99 plus from aquasafe/pure and ive had good luck so far
Old 04-05-2009, 05:58 AM

macky is on a distinguished road
Default ro

I have this one from Costco and installed it under my kitchen sink. I use it for my tank and for drinking water. http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....rodid=10300796