Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-30-2010, 04:59 PM

isaac1 is on a distinguished road
Default Not sure if I should add a sump or not?

My tank is w-12 1/2 l-24 1/2 h-19 not sure what the volume is my freind gave it to me said it was 30 gallons but I'm thinking it's only around 20 it's a marine land bow front It's been running for about 8 weeks now fully cycled parts include t5 ho dual lamp, red sea prizm skimmer, 2 koralia 425 gph power heads, a flu valve 205 canister filter, and a jäger fully submersible 100 watt heater, for live rock I purchased 35 pounds from big als and blue world, and a 30 pound bag of Carib sea live sand, so far I've stocked it with two small occelaris clowns one peppermint shrimp two large turbo snails and one hermit crab( all purchased from blue world) also a couple crabs pretty sure thy might be emerald or gorrila( came off live rock purchased from big als) now I'm wondering if I should add a sump tank on my floor or if I should just keep it the way it Is and do 5% water changes weekly? All advice is appreciated!!!
Old 09-30-2010, 06:28 PM

meenamjah is on a distinguished road

are the claws black and pointy on the crabs? you really don't want gorilla crabs in your tank
Old 09-30-2010, 06:36 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Sump is good way to increase water volume, hide heater and skimmer as well as if you want any probes and or meters (ph, orp etc). Also you can grow macro algae to reduce No3, or if you want to run Phosphate reactor.
However there is initial cost involved (overflow box, circulation pump and the sump itself)
hth
Old 10-18-2010, 03:05 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

A lot of it is personal preference. There is people that run both ways without issues.

Benifits to sump: Cleaner, more live rock if you choose, cheato place, refuge, more water capacity, better place to dose, more consistant tempuratures...

Benifits to sumpless: Less headache and cheaper...

I was happy with out a sump and now that my sump is set up I am still just as happy
Old 10-18-2010, 03:14 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

If you can add a sump do it. You never see a thread where someone complains "I wish I never put a sump in". Just getting your equipment out of the display is worth it.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:21 PM

animalcrossing is on a distinguished road

sump it
Old 11-07-2010, 01:41 AM

toytech is on a distinguished road

Ive got a 50 gallon ive been running off a rena xp2 canister filter for 3 years now i run carbon in it and i do a water change about once a month 10 % .Im very happy with my setup ,easy to maintain, way less equipment so try it out with the canister and if you find latter on your not happy then switch

my 2 cents