Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 12-21-2010, 05:46 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblade View Post
I have to defend BV a little here.. I've had 2 tanks built there, and I have to say I'm happy.Yes, the edges aren't polished or bevelled.But the seals are nice, and the rest of the workmanship was good.He built them just as I wanted, and the price was right.When people look at my tank ,they notice the fish and decor.Not the edges of my glass.
I looked around , and the prices vary widely! I got what I wanted for the price I wanted to pay.
The only gripe I had , was it took about a week or 2 longer(than quoted) for tanks to be completed.Other than that the service was good, and Mitch was a good guy to deal with. IMO
I personally have never dealt with Mitch, but can say it isn't the edges that make the tank, it is the seals... So if he does that properly, then great!

But I can say I do have the polished beveled edges on everything. All holes and curves are C&C'd (or something like that) so everything is precise and you do really notice it. Many have commented on the quality finish, that being said I wouldn't think twice about paying extra for that again. More importantly, I would love the one piece Euro, mine isn't that as Jay didn't do one piece at the time I got mine. But the next tank will have it!

Personally, I think it all will come down to what you wish to have as a finished product... If you don't care about the polishing, etc then someone like Bow Valley may be just fine, but if you want that little extra then maybe Jay or Concept. I myself, like the extras, it really makes the tank POP!!! And no that isn't like POP, there goes my tank all over the floor!

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 12-21-2010, 06:11 PM

Magma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy View Post
I understand that your trying to get the best price in town and think that your just paying more for the name , but just think of it this way, would you buy a tank that was 75-100 dollars less from someone that has a bad rep of building a poor tank or getting a tank from someone that is more reputable and can guarantee that the tank won't fail. I myself would be willing to shell out an additional 75-100 for the piece of mind that i won't get 100 or so gallons of saltwater on the floor, and potentially do more damage to my house (plywood and 2x4, 2x10... do not mix well) just a thought.

what im getting at is out of the builders who have been mentioned in this thread, red coral, concept, elite, bow valley, they all have good and bad reviews but has anyone here had a tank fail from one of them? Not that anyone has mentioned and yes maybe BV has had a tank fail but look at how many they put out compared to everyone else statistical they are going to have more, hell I bought a premade standard 10gal one time and it leaked so everyone has one or 2 that just dont work.

So has anyone here had a tank fail from any of the builders listed?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:16 PM

riceboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to riceboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Actually he was setting you up to invite us all over. Here's your second chance lol.
Lol I might have to lol. But once I have everything in and settled down.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:34 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

BV can also polish edges encase anyone was wondering, you just have to ask for it and be very specific on what edges to polish.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:13 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
what im getting at is out of the builders who have been mentioned in this thread, red coral, concept, elite, bow valley, they all have good and bad reviews but has anyone here had a tank fail from one of them? Not that anyone has mentioned and yes maybe BV has had a tank fail but look at how many they put out compared to everyone else statistical they are going to have more, hell I bought a premade standard 10gal one time and it leaked so everyone has one or 2 that just dont work.

So has anyone here had a tank fail from any of the builders listed?
Frankly, it's amazing that this thread his reached 10 pages?! - It's really not that difficult of a choice. For the record, Red Coral and Concept don't build aquariums. They simply broker the deal. The question is who you would prefer to deal with and for me the answer is entirely obvious. Elite used to have an exclusive arrangement with a builder (Jay) but from what I understand this arrangement is no longer in place, so by whatever means contact him directly.

There are only three builders in Calgary - Gary, Jay and Bow Valley.

However, you've completely answered your own question. DON'T buy a custom tank. They can and do fail regardless of the builder. The most common cause of failed custom tanks is the stand not being perfectly flat (planar). Let me tell you how difficult it is to build a perfectly flat stand.

The best advice that anyone could give you is to buy a manufactured tank from a reputable supplier. I would suggest looking at Marine Land. While it's probably bigger than you were thinking, I really like the Marine Land deep dimension tanks!
Old 12-23-2010, 02:16 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Case in point - Marineland will not honor the warranty on their tanks if you do not also buy their stand. The stand and the floor it sits on are what generally cause the tank to fail.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:24 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcha0s View Post
However, you've completely answered your own question. DON'T buy a custom tank. They can and do fail regardless of the builder. The most common cause of failed custom tanks is the stand not being perfectly flat (planar). Let me tell you how difficult it is to build a perfectly flat stand.
I've never seen a custom tank fail because of this reason, I've seen many tanks fail for a number of other reasons but not stand related. I also don't see what is so difficult about building a flat stand, it's pretty simple actually and using foam or rubber will insure the tank is properly supported. I would think that standard tanks fail more often from a result of a poor stand because they are typically used with store bought stands which for the most part are garbage MDF and don't offer adequate, long lasting support. The larger metal stands typically in stores are also uneven on occasion and usually require additional work or materials to provide even support.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:42 PM

riceboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to riceboy

Lol this thread is getting really long did magma get a tank yet lol

Last edited by riceboy; 12-23-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:00 PM

mws is on a distinguished road

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-pets-anim...AdIdZ249585194

I came across this add on kijiji, some one bilding tanks in okotoks.
Looks like they are fresh.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Marineland tanks, hagen and whatever are all built by humans just like custom tanks in town. There have been issues with these tanks as well. While I don't think it's hard to build a flat stand I do think that when people have issues for the most part it is due to the stand. I think the biggest issue is people want access to underneath and forgo suitable support in the middle. The stand is flat or flat enough with foam upon initial completion but the thing ends up sagging in the middle under full load.