Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-09-2016, 01:14 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Good plan on the manual removal. Your tank is too small for any type of flatworm-eating wrasse imo. 6-lines usually get really aggressive, and smaller tanks tend to magnify that. Fwiw, you don't need to dip corals in anything other than tank water for flatworms - they blow off easily with a turkey baster.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:02 PM

ReefGrrl is on a distinguished road
Default Pumpkin (I think) flatworm update

This morning there were fewer than yesterday but on scrutinizing my corals I noticed the large hammer was mostly retracted and was horrified to see the exposed base flesh had the dreaded beige dots on it. 😱

Taking Myka's advice, I got the trusty baster and was able to remove a bunch of them. After I got whatever I could (it's in a hard-to-reach spot) I used the baster to fluff a bunch of water all around it and they started flying off in all directions! So there were lots of them. I also fluffed water at my bubble coral but nothing came off it, which is a relief. Might be a temporary relief, but I'll take it for now.

My plan now is to remove whatever I see on the glass every day and keep fluffing water around anything that looks even slightly in distress. I will also adjust my jeboa wave thing so the area around the hammer gets increased flow and see if that helps at all.

And I expect I will be dealing with more, when the eggs, if any, hatch.

The other thing I need to do is figure out whether parameters, nutrients, light, temp - any of these - are in a range that encourages growth and reproduction of these things. If there's something I can change that impacts only the flatworms, I'll do that.

Sigh. It's a journey...
Old 03-09-2016, 04:12 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

If you knew you could catch it, Id totally ad a wrasse for temporary pest control.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:14 AM

incept is on a distinguished road

I recently had a bout with flatworms. I picked up some stuff called Flatworm exit and some carbon and gave the tank two doses over a few weeks time. Worked great! Knock on wood, so far I have not seen anything come back. Amazing how many there are you can't see and where they came out of. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2016, 10:40 PM

ReefGrrl is on a distinguished road
Default Flatworms seem all gone now...

Well it took a while but it's been four days now since I have seen any of what looked like pumpkin flatworms on the glass. The bubble coral looks a bit better and the hammers are opening.

I'll keep watching and hope they don't return in any great numbers.

Thx all for the suggestions!

Tags
flat white, irregular margins, on glass, snails