Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-11-2020, 05:50 PM

Ryancw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGreat View Post
Lookin good dude. Is that the Walt Smith rock, or some equivalent?
Carib sea life rock. expensive but worth the startup with no pests!
Old 04-11-2020, 07:59 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Nice work man,coming along nicely
Old 04-11-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
Nice work man,coming along nicely
Much appreciated its been great having all this extra time to get stuff done.

It's also a great distraction from all the noise these days. Hopefully there is lots getting checked off the 'to do lists' in the reefing community. it would be nice to see a resurgence of activity on the forums and tank journals as a result of new found time from covid.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:48 PM

Another Update. and wow are red sea fittings ever cheap. cracked one this morning threading in 1" adaptor so i can run my own gate VS. the garbage reefer valves

Also got the reefer reservoir drilled out and covered on bottom and side for light transfer into the sump. more or less doing this because im not sure what else to do with such a small tank. i have a feeling this is too small to make an impact on a 40 gallon system, but it looks cool.

the bulkhead being "backwards" shouldnt make a difference as long as the seal is on the proper side? i hope

then got creative with the old stock reefer float location and made a strainer fitting for the waterline that will pull old water out and discard downstairs to drain. should i have a siphon break on this line? i dont believe the DOS will allow siphon through it?

Old 04-13-2020, 12:17 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

In regards to the bulkhead, the gasket should be on the wet side... but why did you install it backwards?
Old 04-13-2020, 12:19 AM

the seal is on the wet side. i reversed the bulkhead because it allowed for the 3/4 drain to drop down into the sump about 2" closer than if i used it properly.
Old 04-20-2020, 01:09 AM

Another update tomorrow morning about what got done over the weekend. i placed my last order for a while last night on Reefsupplies for a couple titanium heaters and a new media reactor for the RODI in the basement. Also picked up a DOS for AWC

planning to start fill and cycle this week. which brings me to my question... Is there experience here with anyone using any Brightwell Aquatics products to aid in cycling?
Old 04-20-2020, 02:04 AM

Nate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryancw View Post
Another Update. and wow are red sea fittings ever cheap. cracked one this morning threading in 1" adaptor so i can run my own gate VS. the garbage reefer valves

Also got the reefer reservoir drilled out and covered on bottom and side for light transfer into the sump. more or less doing this because im not sure what else to do with such a small tank. i have a feeling this is too small to make an impact on a 40 gallon system, but it looks cool.

the bulkhead being "backwards" shouldnt make a difference as long as the seal is on the proper side? i hope

then got creative with the old stock reefer float location and made a strainer fitting for the waterline that will pull old water out and discard downstairs to drain. should i have a siphon break on this line? i dont believe the DOS will allow siphon through it?

You know the fittings are metric right? 1 inch shouldn't thread right in and that is likely why it was cracked ?
Old 04-20-2020, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
You know the fittings are metric right? 1 inch shouldn't thread right in and that is likely why it was cracked ?
#1 simple reason to me why Waterbox aquariums are superior to Red Seas. there's tons of information on adapting Red Sea's online though.. I've now used a 3/4" MPT to 1" slip adaptor now properly.

at first because the parts are hard to find in grey schedule 80 - i used a 3/4'' MPT to 1'' MPT nipple and then a 1'' FA. Mix that with using too much Teflon tape and a cheap ABS red sea fitting and whoops.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:40 AM

Nate is on a distinguished road
Default Why

Why did you buy red sea then ?

Also I picture them complaining about waterbox tanks over in Europe with their stupid standard fittings ... Lol