Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: How do you choose what to charge for frags?
Whatever the market will bear 9 23.08%
Whatever I paid for the original frag 4 10.26%
Some form of cost recovery for supplies 7 17.95%
Saving up money for an upgrade 2 5.13%
Just setting a price to get them out of my tank 17 43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2017, 06:38 PM

SoloSK71 is on a distinguished road
Default How do you charge for frags?

A couple of threads on Reef Central and here made me wonder. How do you determine what do you charge for the frags that you sell?

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:49 PM

I personally sell frags at a price that helps me recovery some of the costs for supplies, food, chemicals, etc.

I don't know what I will do when some of the more expensive ones are ready to frag.

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:10 PM

somafish is on a distinguished road

If I bought it from a retailer, I try to make it a point not to sell what I payed. Im a hobbyist so I have no right to ask those prices. I bought a Jawbreaker for $550, I sell them for $300-350 depending on color. If I bought it from a fellow hobbyist I don't mind keeping it that price.

Something to keep in mind for higher priced corals from vendors is its not like they are price gouging. Chances are they payed a pretty penny to get it into Canada, they have their overhead costs and if it is rare why wouldn't you charge a premium
Old 02-05-2017, 08:08 PM

I am not questioning the retailer pricing, I am asking about people who buy these ultra high end frags and then have 5, 10, 15 frags after a year or two and how they price them.

I bought a 1" frag of RR Kush for $200, but when it gets to a size that I feel comfortable getting some frags from it, I don't think I will sell them for more than $40 or so. That recovers some of my costs, gets some beautiful frags in other peoples tanks who might never have gotten something like this.

Similarly, I bought a colony of green trumpets (call them toxic or nuclear, the naming has been some mixed no on can really tell any more) for about $100 for something like 60 to 80 heads. I sold those frags for $5 per frag (not per head) to get the colony to a size that would fit in the tank I had at the time.

Charles

Old 02-05-2017, 09:18 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post

I bought a 1" frag of RR Kush for $200, but when it gets to a size that I feel comfortable getting some frags from it, I don't think I will sell them for more than $40 or so. That recovers some of my costs, gets some beautiful frags in other peoples tanks who might never have gotten something like this.

Charles
Glad to hear! it's nice to see your colony grow, be fragged and sold at a decent cost. This allows more reefers to get a piece of the pie IMO. Unless that is your sole business, I look at it as recovering some cost and helping another out.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:22 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by somafish View Post
If I bought it from a retailer, I try to make it a point not to sell what I payed. Im a hobbyist so I have no right to ask those prices. I bought a Jawbreaker for $550, I sell them for $300-350 depending on color. If I bought it from a fellow hobbyist I don't mind keeping it that price.

Something to keep in mind for higher priced corals from vendors is its not like they are price gouging. Chances are they payed a pretty penny to get it into Canada, they have their overhead costs and if it is rare why wouldn't you charge a premium
Have any frags? PM me
Old 02-05-2017, 10:30 PM

I am not sure you can frag from a 1" frag but when I have some they I will let you know.

Charles

Old 02-05-2017, 10:49 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
I am not sure you can frag from a 1" frag but when I have some they I will let you know.

Charles
I know someone with the WD tenuis that may be worth trading some jawbreaker for
Old 02-06-2017, 12:14 AM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road

I usually price them for the going local hobby rate, not the store rate. When people come I usually throw in a couple extra for free. Happened to me a couple times before so I just pass it on.

Just last week a guy wanted to trade a couple frags with me, I just gave him 8 different frags without a trade. Usually if I know the people and they are good people I just give it to them free.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:45 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

I don't frag often but when I do everything is at a low price

If I wanted to make money I would of gotten into something cheaper but I have salt water so I do my part to help out others. Believe it or not I have had people become very angry because I was selling cheap and people won't buy from them. Each to their own