Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 10-02-2011, 11:23 PM

reefbyremote is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatreefguy View Post
My buddy reefbyremote was in the exact same situation as you with his 90, he ordered a SWC 160 to cut down on noise and he has good things to say about it. Maybe he'll chime in and give you some feedback on his new skimmer.
As medhatreefguy noted, I was in a similar situation and bought the SWC 160 cone. It is very quiet and we have guests sleeping right beside it. I have it in 7 inches of water, if I move it to about 8.5 the return will all below the water level and even quieter but I see no reason to do so. It also really pulls out the scum.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:45 AM

reef93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefbyremote View Post
As medhatreefguy noted, I was in a similar situation and bought the SWC 160 cone. It is very quiet and we have guests sleeping right beside it. I have it in 7 inches of water, if I move it to about 8.5 the return will all below the water level and even quieter but I see no reason to do so. It also really pulls out the scum.

Wow ... you made me have a very high temptation when you said "can sleep right beside it" it made me just want to get one right away. I haven't had time to follow whatcaneyedo's instruction to mod mine yet. But look in his picture, the water is not even moving, I hope I can save a lot of money without getting a new one. But if not, then I will definitely get the SWC cone like yours. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:22 AM

reef93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
I lost most of my 2006 pictures in a Windows crash... Otherwise I'd show something better.

First I pushed the grey riser tube right to the bottom and got rid of the annoying sponge. The mod is as follows: 90 degree elbow on top of riser tube, a T off of the 90 degree, gate valve below the T, tie it all together with some short lengths of PVC pipe and add a an additional length to the top of the T. The location of the 90 degree and the T is probably interchangeable. I don't recall exactly why I put them where they were.

Restrict the gate valve to achieve the desired foam hight in the skimmer. Water comes up the grey riser tube, through the 90 degree elbow, into then partially up the T and then down and out the gate valve. Back then if I were to look down through the top of the T I'd see the water level slightly up into the top. Water would exit smoothly out of the bottom with only a trace amount of bubbles but no splashing or gurgling noise. The white speckles in my picture are little calcium tube building worms of some sort.

Now if the water level in your sump is a lot lower than mine was you might still have an issue. I had a 55gal as a sump so I think my skimmer was sitting in 10-12" of water.

I hope this helps.

I don't know how I can say that I am very appreciative for all your time to write down all the instructions plus an additional picture of your skimmer. Now my skimmer is deadly silent, I couldn't believe it after I had mod it. I can actually sleep right beside it now (no exaggeration) and it is saved me a few hundred bucks not having to buy a new skimmer too.
Million, million thanks to you Whatcaneyedo.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:12 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

You're welcome. This site is all about sharing and learning from one another.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour