Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 06-20-2013, 11:03 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Default Calgary flooding

I hope everyone in the south is alright. I am not a news reader so came to know about it late. Being from a flood prone country, I know how painful it is to cope up with floods.

I wish all the people the best and hope this dreadful weather will soon be over.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 06-20-2013, 11:52 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

There is huge devastation in Bragg Creek, High River, Banff and Canmore.

All that water in Banff and Canmore has to come through Calgary sooner or later. I don't think we've seen even the worst of it yet. It's not raining here in the city but it's been getting steadily worse all day upstream.

This is way worse than 2005, and there was significant damage to the city back then.

What a sad terrible day for so many.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:00 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

I've heard they are shutting memorial drive down overnight as they are expecting the water to crest through the city?

Hard to imagine the destruction when I'm sitting in my office looking out the window and see blue skies.....

Hope everyone is safe!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
There is huge devastation in Bragg Creek, High River, Banff and Canmore.

All that water in Banff and Canmore has to come through Calgary sooner or later. I don't think we've seen even the worst of it yet. It's not raining here in the city but it's been getting steadily worse all day upstream.

This is way worse than 2005, and there was significant damage to the city back then.

What a sad terrible day for so many.
Yah But the good thing is there's good service to take care of it as quickly as possible.

Like I said, I am from a very flood prone country and I have suffered the worst. I know how terrified people can be, especially if they are not used to such incident at regular basis. Hope everything gets well soon.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:05 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Hard to believe considering the weather is kind of nice where I am, don't think I'll be heading to the city anytime soon. Hope everyone in the zones are come out OK and the power cuts don't destroy any ones tanks.

Some good pics here
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23yycflood&src=hash
Old 06-21-2013, 01:38 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Talked to friends and family today in Canmore and it's bad. A few of them have been evacuated and are staying with other friends. One of our friends back yard is gone and the Cougar Creek was only a few feet from the house. They're not sure if it's there still
And my wife's cousin owns a little ranch beside the rail tracks that they do horse back rides and such and it's 2' under water. They had to move all their horses 2X as the water just kept rising.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Talked to friends and family today in Canmore and it's bad. A few of them have been evacuated and are staying with other friends. One of our friends back yard is gone and the Cougar Creek was only a few feet from the house. They're not sure if it's there still
And my wife's cousin owns a little ranch beside the rail tracks that they do horse back rides and such and it's 2' under water. They had to move all their horses 2X as the water just kept rising.
Holy crap :O

Sorry for being ignorant but where is the upstream coming from? I thought Calgary and the adjacent areas are situated in the highest point in whole Alberta.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:51 AM

Cougar creek in Canmore comes straight out of one of the mountain valleys, and joins the Bow River right in Canmore. With all that rain and the resulting melt of snow pack filled and overflowed the creek bed which is pretty much dry most of the year. That right now is creating most of the damage there I believe.
I lived there 20 years and every year that creek floods and screws up the railway and bridge that goes over it. Usually they are able to get some machinery in there and clear debris before it damages anything but I guess this year was just too much.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:07 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Sorry to hear this!! So terrible. I've grown up here and I've never seen anything like this. YEs we get bad storms, but so many areas affected.....I hope your friends and family are somewhere safe and that the worst is over. Somehow I don't think it is with more rain in the forecast....
Old 06-21-2013, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
Sorry to hear this!! So terrible. I've grown up here and I've never seen anything like this. YEs we get bad storms, but so many areas affected.....I hope your friends and family are somewhere safe and that the worst is over. Somehow I don't think it is with more rain in the forecast....

Thanks. We've been in touch with everyone and everyone's safe. Here's a recent aerial pic of the highway where cougar creek used to run under it.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&type=1&ref=nf

And here's a vid, you can actually see my buddy's place in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xjqnfRcZkg