Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arok3000 View Post
He did already say new base rock.
Yes, which means different things to different people. For me, new base rock is the crappy cheaper stuff at the bottom of the tub at the LFS. To others, they think of it as marco rock, etc...
Old 05-20-2012, 03:34 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
When you say "new rock", what does that mean? Dry rock? Newly imported live rock? Or cycled rock form LFS or other source?
Dry base rock from Eco Reefer

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider777 View Post
I used Dr Tims One and Only Nitrifying bacteria. I added ammonia which was included with the order to move things along. Worked well, I was done my cycle in about 2 weeks.
I saw this on a Mr. Saltwater Tank episode but I have serious doubts as to his impartiality. I also red a bunch of reviews on the product and a big chunk of them claimed it did nothing. In my book, that means that either it's snake oil or at least tricky to use somehow.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

You can do what I always do - Add sand/liverock, hit it up with Zeobak, ammonia and a craptonne of VSV, wait for bacterial bloom to clear and bam, instant cycled tank.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:44 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

I used the "Tank Buster" from piesces and their "Step 2" product with the Eco-Reefer rock. I added fish food to cycle.

It worked, though there may be better products available.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:24 PM

Slider777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post
I saw this on a Mr. Saltwater Tank episode but I have serious doubts as to his impartiality. I also red a bunch of reviews on the product and a big chunk of them claimed it did nothing. In my book, that means that either it's snake oil or at least tricky to use somehow.
I read some of those reviews as well, they are abundant on reef central, however I think you can attribute a great deal of them to people's inability to accept change. I got the feeling many of them were stuck in their ways, but I mean if they prefer the traditional method, and you don't mind waiting a whole month or more, go for it. Another interesting fact is Dr Tim wrote his doctoral thesis on the bacteria that exist within marine aquariums, you can even search for it and read it if you feel so inclined. So if the man creating this has a PH.D in the subject matter he must know something about what he is creating. Again it worked well for me, no tricks, you can even read the instructions online, but to each their own.

I also had the eco reefer rock to start, so I had nothing, in terms of beneficial bacteria, until I added this product.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:23 PM

I'm in the same boat. I agree that when it comes to people's opinions in products like this that there is an element of those who just don't WANT it to work. Add to that a component of users who just don't follow directions properly and you have reason to doubt some of them.

This product is drop dead simple to use though -just pour in the contents of the bottle so you've gotta wonder who can manage to screw that up

Old 05-20-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
You can do what I always do - Add sand/liverock, hit it up with Zeobak, ammonia and a craptonne of VSV, wait for bacterial bloom to clear and bam, instant cycled tank.
Ok, I'll bite.... What's "VSV" ?

Old 05-20-2012, 10:18 PM

RedCoralEdmonton is on a distinguished road

VSV vodka, sugar, vinegar....

As for Prodibio Start Up, that is what i would use, I have used it myself on many a customers tanks and it is great stuff, although im not sure if I would use it on dry rock, half the box is the bacteria, and the other half is ammonia blocking plant extracts, this works great with live rock that must have die off, I think you would be better off with a box of Prodibio Bio Digest, and just dump in the Start up amount....

Ive never been brave enough to put it in and put fish in within 24 hours like they say, but i have waited 5 days and put in chromis and every time the tank was good to go. Waited a week and then stocked the tank regularly....

Steve
Old 05-21-2012, 01:01 AM

Dr_Hicks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitoPharmer View Post
If it is real live rock, I use nothing. Just slowly stock up once your numbers are good.

If it was mostly base rock and a small amount of live rock I might add a piece of shrimp then.

My question for the people using Prodibio Startup and other products. Did you add your products after your cycle to help add more fish right away? Or before to help speed the cycling process for your rocks? Or both?
Day one,

Add water,

Add Prodibio

Add Rock

Add Fish & Coral..

..... Enjoy tank.