Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-19-2012, 08:32 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road
Default Cyclying Bacteria Products -Need recommendation

I finally had enough of my disaster of a tank and completely tore it apart yesterday.

It now has new sand, new base rock and 100% new water. All my livestock and coral is in a 10gal sitting on my dining room table so I need to cycle this sucker in as efficient a manner as is practical.

I'd like to add nitrifying bacteria and amonia and get fish into this in a few days.

There are a number of products out there for this but in the interest of avoiding any snake oil, I'd like to hear from people who had have success with this approach.

I'm in Calgary and would prefer to be able to pick-up whatever the stuff is, at a LFS here.

I'll start with the Prodibio Start Up. Anyone have success with this ? I haven't seen it locally....

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:14 PM

Dr_Hicks is on a distinguished road

I've had 100% success rate using Prodibio Startup, I've used it in my last 6 customer tanks and 3 personal tanks; and I am so happy with the product I will be using to get a 450gl coral flat running in a few weeks.

After using the proper dose of product I was able to add fish and coral to the tank right away ( as in same day )

Totally stand behind this product :-)
Old 05-20-2012, 05:35 AM

Ok... Anyone else have experience with this or another product ?

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:34 AM

PurpleMonkey is on a distinguished road

I used MB7 in my mixed coral tank but I still have it 2 weeks before I started adding. I've used stability in my family and fish right after with no problems
Old 05-20-2012, 02:32 PM

Let's change the question a bit then: what are people doing to cycle tanks these days ? - are most people still throwing a shrimp in the tank and waiting 6 weeks for it to cycle !?

Old 05-20-2012, 02:36 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

That's what I did, threw in 2 cocktail shrimp in 3 weeks. But if I had found a source of liquid ammonia I probably would have tried that first. A slower but just as effective way would be to ghost feed your tank every day.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:39 PM

FitoPharmer is on a distinguished road

If it is real live rock, I use nothing. Just slowly stock up once your numbers are good.

If it was mostly base rock and a small amount of live rock I might add a piece of shrimp then.

My question for the people using Prodibio Startup and other products. Did you add your products after your cycle to help add more fish right away? Or before to help speed the cycling process for your rocks? Or both?
Old 05-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

When you say "new rock", what does that mean? Dry rock? Newly imported live rock? Or cycled rock form LFS or other source?
Old 05-20-2012, 02:42 PM

Slider777 is on a distinguished road

I used Dr Tims One and Only Nitrifying bacteria. I added ammonia which was included with the order to move things along. Worked well, I was done my cycle in about 2 weeks.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:47 PM

Arok3000 is on a distinguished road

He did already say new base rock.