Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 04-06-2011, 07:27 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
If you're still keen on assembling the parts required to DYI a soldered array, knock yourselves out, but I'm waiting a little longer and will build either an E27 or MR16 based lighting system when the price & availability of this form factor drops in price a little more.

http://www.ledlightbulb.net/store/in...dex&cPath=4_31

http://www.dhgate.com/15w-high-power...b9aa25384.html

http://www.ledlightsworld.com/mr16-1...ight-p-99.html

I know this doesn't help solve the problems with your current LED job, but so many folks are getting caught up in this DIY LED array craze when there are easier options on the horizon.

I think your missing the point here. your first eg is 90 to 180/bulb and still are a 60 degree output so you will need a fair amount, and they come in cool, nutral and warm white.

the second eg is not practical for a fish tank as it is a 360 design so 70% of you light is going where you don't want it.

for the third eg 9 bucks each ya they will work but color is limited as they are for household track lighting and they still have a transformer.

the point of people building them there selves is

1, to save a tone of money. for 200 to 500 you can buils a system that would retail for 800 to 3000.

2, custom aplication. you can pick your lense, spacing, and color combanation.

3, features.. all the examples you showed are non dimable.. I was looking at leds for my lights down stairs and non dimable ones are 10 bucks each.. dimable ones are 30 bucks each for a 40 watt bulb replacment.

another issue you have to look at is what lind of LED are they using and you also need outdoor rated LEDs fixtures or they will burn out quite quickly. there have been sever house hold lighting products comming out laitly with cheep LEDs which use substandard methods of altering the color because it is way cheeper (like paint on the surface of the LED) this has been flaking off and causing color shifts ect.. when the people are building there fixtures they are using Cree for the most part which has way more out put than say a edison LED of the same wattage. so it not just about conveniance.

Oh and there also the "I built it myself" factor which to some is very satisfying

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:51 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I simply provided the links as an example of what's available currently and if folks are willing to wait a little longer, or contact the manufacturers for different colour options, I'm sure they would be able to assemble something suitable. I did a quick search and threw a couple of links out there for people to get the idea. It's an alternative if you're prepared to do additional research. Getting away from pure DIY a little, I know, just pointing out that there are other ways to build LED fixtures for salt water aquariums apart from soldering.

Last edited by mike31154; 04-06-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:18 PM

GMGQ is on a distinguished road

I agree that retail is not the same as DIY in that you get more and pay less for a DIY setup.

The retail LEDs are old technology. DIY with Cree, or even knockoff Cree LEDs, are waaaaay more powerful. One retail LED is not even in the same league as one Cree LED, so they cannot be compared as apples to apples.

2016/2017 180Gallon Build Coming Soon...
Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGQ View Post
The retail LEDs are old technology. DIY with Cree, or even knockoff Cree LEDs, are waaaaay more powerful. One retail LED is not even in the same league as one Cree LED, so they cannot be compared as apples to apples.
ahh but a lot of new fixtures are comming out using new cree leds now so we have to watch how we compare things.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 04-06-2011, 11:55 PM

GMGQ is on a distinguished road

True... Still comes back to price then.

This one is still $1899 for a 4ft fixture, with i'm guessing 48 LEDs:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...threadid=74421

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
ahh but a lot of new fixtures are comming out using new cree leds now so we have to watch how we compare things.

Steve

2016/2017 180Gallon Build Coming Soon...
Old 04-07-2011, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGQ View Post
True... Still comes back to price then.

This one is still $1899 for a 4ft fixture, with i'm guessing 48 LEDs:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...threadid=74421
yup and you can buy a kit with everything you need including optics, but no heat sink, for 48 LEDs for about 400 bucks.

Steve

Old 04-07-2011, 04:34 AM

Stones is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the links guys. I'm still preferring to do this total DIY as the fixture is for a Fluval Edge planted tank. I could have went with 2 MR16 base LED bulbs that would have plugged right into the Fluval edge fixture but I opted to go with 9 Cree XP-G 3W LEDs instead as I assumed I'd get better coverage and I enjoy most DIY projects. This is the 1s time I've ever had any problems with a DIY build and thanks to some of your comments, I'm assuming it was likely due to a build up of flux while soldering.

I haven't been able to find any wire thinner than 18 G locally so I still haven't resoldered the LED array. I did pick up a better soldering iron and a solder sucker to remove the excess solder from the previous job. I'll let everyone know if I do manage to get this build up and running.

I had seen the "solderless" LED connectors but opted to go without them due to mounting options. Very neat idea though.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:28 AM

HeliWrench is on a distinguished road
Default Screw-Heads Grounding

Seems to me the screw head are grounding/shorting the LEDs to the heat-sink. Maybe try using smaller head screws that don't contact the terminals on the LED stars.

Let me know if this helps.

HeliWrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stones View Post
Here is a pic of how I have the LEDs mounted to the heatsink. Ignore the 1st LED with the black marker as that was the dud.

Here I pencilled in how I had the LEDs wired together before removing the wiring last night.

Here is a close up of how i have the LEDs wired. I only resoldered the first 2 LEDs together again for testing purposes and was unable to get both to fire at the same time off of a battery.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:03 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

^ looks like the OP is using nylon washers so shouldn't be shorting