Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-25-2011, 04:33 AM

zum14 is on a distinguished road

Be careful venting your furnace room. You can create a back draft on your furnace and hot water tank exhaust. I think your ok if its newer but best to ask.

"Nah, unless they got any big, giant robot camels I think were ok."

"Ah.....Jim.......robot camels"
Old 03-25-2011, 04:38 AM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

good to know, the house is newly built and runs 2 80 g hotwater tanks each seperately vented out. I'll mkae sure to check out that question.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:54 AM
pyke

Default fish tank humidifier

It funny everyone in calgary is looking to dehumidify. Prior to the installation of my fish tank I could barely get the humidity in my house above 20%. It was destroying the hardwood, all the wood cabinets were drying out. I actually installed a new humidifier to get the humidity in the house up.

once I installed my 180 the humidity in the house went up to 35% and is fairly steady at that. My top-off bucket needs to be filled ever second day, so I am putting 2.5G of water in the air and my house is much better for it.

Calgary is so dry in the winter I am shocked to hear people say humidity is an issue. In vancouver, mtl and Toronto I fully understand the humidity issue but its interesting to hear people having the issue in calgary. That being said I do have an air exchange unit on the house so it may be solving any humidity issues without having a humidity fan.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:04 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

If you have a air exchanger it makes a huge difference because the humid air in the house is constantly being replaced with fresh air. An HRV is in my opinion the best option if you had the funds. I didn't have the funds so that's why I installed just a bathroom fan. It's not my furnace room so I think I'm pretty safe. I also have a vent fan in the house that I can manually turn on if I want. With my experience with my old house, I opted to go preventative rather than deal with it after the fact. I was dealing with mold issues at my old place. This was mainly in the winter where the windows would just drip and it would drip down the walls and cause the baseboards to mold. Long story short, if you have the funds, get an HRV. You can get one for well under a thousand dollars and really easy to install with minimal tools. Hope this helps.