Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 01-24-2011, 07:41 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road
Default What are the top T5 HO fixtures currently

Well it's time to get back into the hobby again, bought a place and now it's time to get the research done. It's been almost 2 years since I've been gone from the hobby, so need to know what people are now liking for T5HO units and why? This new tank will probably be 6-8 feet long, lowering depth to 20 inches this time for easier cleaning. Width I'm thinking 22-26 inches. So tell me what you guys think for T5 lighting.

PS- I guess sig line no longer is true atm

Last edited by Trigger Man; 01-24-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

I have been using a 6 foot Aquatinics Constellation fixture, and absolutely love it. Amazing light, and 3 different switches for 3 different light combos. Very easy to work on, and replace bulbs.

There is 14 X 39W T5HO's in there so lots of possibilities for different color combos

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 01-24-2011, 08:27 PM

burrows14 is on a distinguished road

Look into ati powermodules and sunpowers. Tons of par and very well built 2x4ft 8bulb fixtures over a 8ftx24-26" tank would look pretty sweet and you can keep any coral you can think of
Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

the new Hamilton fixtures JL just got in look pretty money...
active cooling and everything....
Old 01-24-2011, 09:11 PM

jon.smolders is on a distinguished road

I've got a Sunlight Supply Tek Light 48" 6x54w. I bought it because it was decent quality for the money (about $400 before tax). Two power cords/switches: one turns on the first and last bulbs, the other does the four middle bulbs. I like it, my tank is still cycling, so I havn't tried any corals under it yet. The only thing is that there are no fans like the ATI fixtures... I just set up two cooling fans on the side of my tank. It may not be top of the line, but its pretty close. If I was going to spend more on a fixture I would go LED.

"Resolved, that I will live so as I shall wish I had done when I come to die."
(Jonathan Edwards, 1722)
Old 01-25-2011, 12:25 AM

I always liked the Tek's i ran them on my last tank and was able to grow every type of coral. This time i think I'm going to go to one of the higher end models, just trying to figure out which one. I'm leaning towards the powermoduals, as they have had a good rep even years ago, but seeing if any other brands have come out with new better T5 lighting.

PS- no current tank, but looking to build another soon

Last edited by Trigger Man; 01-25-2011 at 12:25 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Powermodule and sfiligoi stealth would be the higher end fixtures. I'm thinking the sfiligoi looks better and performs just as well so long as it has individual reflectors and fans. Some of them have shared reflectors and no fans so do your research. I know the 12 bulb ones have both. I also prefer the glass shields of the stealth over the sag prone acrylic in the ati but perhaps that issue has been fixed? Otherwise the powermodule has an edge over the other models. Giesemann matrix has no fans and not much is known about these.

Last edited by lastlight; 01-25-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:33 AM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

Check out the new Aquamedic fixtures. My buddy Smudge has the eight bulb and they are one of the sweetest fixtures out there. They have glass shields, individual reflectors, built in LED moonlights, individual control for moonlights and T5 groups, they come with both the hanging kit and mounting legs, and actively cooled by really quiet fans. The really cool thing is you could buy two of these for the price of a stealth or powermodule. After looking at his, it's got me thinking about switching my MH for T5's.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:56 AM

randallino is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

+1 I love my Stealth, fans and individual reflectors 48" 8 bulb with moon LEDS, now you can get the unit dim-able, solidly built with a decent hanging kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Powermodule and sfiligoi stealth would be the higher end fixtures. I'm thinking the sfiligoi looks better and performs just as well so long as it has individual reflectors and fans. Some of them have shared reflectors and no fans so do your research. I know the 12 bulb ones have both. I also prefer the glass shields of the stealth over the sag prone acrylic in the ati but perhaps that issue has been fixed? Otherwise the powermodule has an edge over the other models. Giesemann matrix has no fans and not much is known about these.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallino View Post
+1 I love my Stealth, fans and individual reflectors 48" 8 bulb with moon LEDS, now you can get the unit dim-able, solidly built with a decent hanging kit.
Good to know, never even thought about the Stealths, going to have to do some research on them now.