Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 12-07-2008, 04:12 PM

Ephraim is on a distinguished road

i have never used the novas, but i have 8 hagen glo 36" bulbs over my 90 reef and they do very well. Bright, durable, overall quality is excellent. Good value i would reccomend to anyone.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:52 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

the glows also come in retrofit kits as well. i was not aware of a timer option on the glo but they did do a promo where they came with a FREE timer.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:18 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

Thank you everyone who made it easy to decide to go with the Hagen Glo unit for some supplemental lighting for my current tek system. I was not aware about the reflector upgrade but that is good to know.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 PM

karazy is on a distinguished road

i can't seem to find the reflector upgrade..

but for people running only 1 hagen glo, what corals are you keeping under it?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karazy View Post

that would depend they come in 1 and 2 bulb fixtures.
i have seen the reflectors at riverfront they are with the lights.

I have kept numerous softies succesfully with a 2 bulb fixture but the jury is out on sps. things like ricordia mushrooms toadstool gorgonian (not sure what type)zenia torches frogspawn, all will do fine under a single 2 bulb fixture and maybe under a single bulb fixture depending on depth. IMO
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

Old 12-08-2008, 12:09 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by karazy View Post

I purchased my 75 gal used and after installing the 36" Glo (this is a 48" tank) both a mushroom and zoanthid started growing on their own. I did not put them in the tank, it was FOWLR up until that point. Must have been some spores in the rock or something. Had one 10000K and one Actinic fitted. The zoanthid has grown to become a large colony but alas, the mushroom fell victim to something, maybe my pencil urchin. I've since retro'd four 48" T5HO fixtures on to the tank (added a hammer & GSP) and the 36" Glo is fitted with two actinics for dawn/dusk.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:30 PM

landshark is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up nova extreme

I,ve been using 2 nova extremes for about a year. EXCELLENT fixtures. 1 , 2x18watt on my ten and 1 4x24 on my 20. I have excellent growth in both tanks. ElGuapo appears to be comparing a 36 watt nova to a 48 watt hagen. Unfair comparison. Bang for the buck, these are great fixtures.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:50 PM

NAS is on a distinguished road

Ohhhh,,, DUDE!

I have three 45 bow two from hagen, one from All Glass.

I am running the lighting that comes with the hagen bow... DON'T DO IT!

It's a fresh water tank, in 30 years of aquariums (own experience) This is the first design where i got heat issues with a fresh tank. The canopy is the worst design ever because there is little to no venting. (less u run a chiller which wont fit in the limited space of the shitty stand design.

As far as the bulbs go, I went from a devote hagen supporter to Coralife (for flourescant) the true actinics from coralife is the only way to go. I also run on my all glass double t-5 strips from coralife. We just got a Nova extreme (www.current-usa.com). It's 8 T-5's in a single strip. FANTASTIC so far (not as good as my 400w MH)... the nova replace a Quad power compact, much much better. Great venting, nice elevation from top of tank. Im betting that one would do well as a 36" unit on your corner bow.

For what is worth. If you are interested I can pop some pics. Let me know.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
I,ve been using 2 nova extremes for about a year. EXCELLENT fixtures. 1 , 2x18watt on my ten and 1 4x24 on my 20. I have excellent growth in both tanks. ElGuapo appears to be comparing a 36 watt nova to a 48 watt hagen. Unfair comparison. Bang for the buck, these are great fixtures.
For the record they are both 24" 2x24 watt fixtures. i do also have a 48" GLO.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:16 PM

karazy is on a distinguished road

i was considering getting a sundial fixture to amp up the lgiht and store the hagen in the basment, but now i think i'll just get another hagen and use both