Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-14-2015, 11:21 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road
Default What came first, the fish or the coral?

Well it's been 2 months today and the tank parameters look good. Now I have the itch to get this 190g stocked. Right now it's LR, 6 fire fish, 1 clown and a coral beauty. I don't remember how my stocking order went on my last tank, as it was shut down about 5 years ago. Do most of you guys put in corals first or get the nicer fish first? I know I had put in LPS, shruums, and zoo's before the SPS, and the male scribbled angel was my last fish, but I don't remember the between. I was thinking of grabbing an Achillies and a blue tang at the same time (is it to early for the tank?), maybe a sail fin a bit smaller (all fish will be 3-4 inches), then working on filling coral, then more fish. Any advise, the tank is looking way to plain and it is driving me nuts? Will having fish in first cause more coral nipping when new ones come get placed in the tank?
Thanks,
Old 01-15-2015, 02:50 AM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

hhmmm, this is a first, I must be losing my touch, normally I always get at least a few comments on my posts . . .
Old 01-15-2015, 04:49 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Well, honestly, I don't recall putting much thought into which went first, corals or fish. I think I probably added both at the same time. I'm not sure if it really makes that much of a difference in terms of reducing the likelihood of nipping. Nippers gonna nip :-)

In terms of fish alone, if you can plan ahead, then I think the general consideration of adding the more timid fish in first would apply. This allows them to get established. Mind you even this is no guarantee down the road. An aggressive fish will be aggressive, period.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:14 AM

mikellini is on a distinguished road

I added almost all of my fish first, then started with corals. Maybe if you save nippers until after you have a well stocked tank, they might not do enough harm to any single coral to kill it.

This would have worked well, except one of the last fish I added had some kind of infection that wiped most of the rest out. So now I have two fish and about a half-stocked tank of corals.