Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-07-2009, 11:14 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road
Default Putting a fish in the sump, which compartment?

Basically here is the issue, one of my fish is breaking off pieces of my sps (the more narrow part where the sps is growing). So I am going to assume it is the niger trigger and will test this by putting it in my sump and see if the sps take no more hits. My question to everyone is in which of the 3 compartments in my sump should I put him in?
Compartment 1 is where the water comes down from the main tank, compartment 2 houses the skimmer and pump for the UV sterilizer (largest of the compartments but has the most equipment in it, and the third compartment has the return pump and one of my heaters.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:21 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

I always stick my "time outers" in the compartment that I think will be easiest to catch them ,once they learn a little humility.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:44 PM

chevyjaxon is on a distinguished road

IMO fish in the sump is a bad idea, but if you must i would keep it in the largest compartment
Old 02-08-2009, 12:11 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

I would worry about compartments with pumps/equipment that the fish could get hurt on, so I would use #1. Or better yet, you could set up a rubbermaid container with some LR a heater and an air pump in it for the fish to stay in.

Last edited by fishoholic; 02-08-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:25 AM

MikeP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
i would worry about compartments with pumps/equipment that the fish could get hurt on, so i would use #1. Or better yet, you could set up a rubbermaid container with some lr a heater and an air pump in it for the fish to stay in.
+1

Old 02-08-2009, 01:55 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Put it in your QT.
I would think there is a risk that any fish put in a sump would be stressed could break out with ich
Old 02-08-2009, 04:41 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Sump, QT, rubbermaid.....whats the difference? Catching and moving the fish is the stressful part to the fish. I would say compartment number 1 where there are no pumps, exact temp and water conditions as the display. But only for a short time as the space will obviously be inadequate.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 02-08-2009, 05:14 AM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

Caught the trigger during feeding so he is now chilling in the first compartment of the sump. Normally I would have put him in my Qt but I just shut it down a month ago because it has been running empty since October.