Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater > Ponds & Koi

Old 09-26-2011, 02:50 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMes View Post
One of the nicest backyard ponds I have seen. Your hard work and dedication to this massive project definitely paid off. You should enter your pond in your local Horticultural Society competition.
Thanks for the kind words. I can't wait to get planting in the spring to make it look more natural.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHHope View Post
Have you ever looked into an IonGen? There fairly new to the pond hobby and keep your pond 100% free of all algeas when set up properly. Its the same technology they use the keep the water features algea free on the las vegas strip without using chemicals
Have not looked into this. I will be pretty much leaving it natural for now. I have seen many of the ponds that this company has built and they are all algae free. It's a natural method with basically tons of surface area for natural biological filtration and tons of flow. We'll have to see from year to year though.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaundry View Post
Very nice build, I have a small pond in my yard and will be updating it next year, have you calculated how many gallons of water in pond? What pump[s] are you using in it? Freezing not a big problem for me for the most part but I would imagine you must have some heavy duty heater set up for your one end of the pond. When it does freeze please post some pics as I would be very interested.
I'm not sure, maybe 2500 gallons? It's 17' x 33' x 24" deep but there is a ton of rock displacement and a few shelves. So it's very hard to guess or calculate the volume. They are japanese pumps I believe (1 HP, and 1/2 HP). I think about 11000 gallons/hr total flow.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:58 AM

My glass panels are in now - my son is testing it out as he wasn't quite sure at first. My mother in law came and she wouldn't walk on the glass (kinda funny). She is the type of person however that won't walk on the glass in the Calgary Tower and doesn't like riding in elevators that you can see out of that are made of glass.

Last edited by Dez; 09-26-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:47 AM

doch is on a distinguished road
Default BBQ!!!

Dez... I'm on shutdown until November, but I'm self inviting me and the family over for a BBQ! I'll bring the beer and steaks! All you need to do is cover your whole back yard so it doesn't freeze... and isn't cold. It looks amazing buddy... maybe we'll have to wait till next year??

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 09-26-2011, 04:54 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Pretending your pond isn't awesome (and that I don't need to desperately move so I have a yard) is getting tougher bro. Again I'm in awe I just LOVE what you did here.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:59 AM

This pond puts my pond to shame. I just visited it yesterday. Wow, it's at the Maui Ocean Center.

And a peek of a few of the fish in that pond.

And yes, Johnny, we can certainly arrange a BBQ . Maybe next year when we're all planted.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:51 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

What does Koi taste like BBQ'd?
Old 10-15-2011, 03:51 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
What does Koi taste like BBQ'd?
haha, I would be out in the back yard fishing all day

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:59 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Those fish look great! So does the glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I looked into what Mindy suggested (rock guard 3M stuff), but that stuff is more expensive than my glass, so I'll just replace it every couple of years. The glass is costing me less than $200 for all 4 sheets, so quite reasonable.
Really? Wow, didn't think it would be that much...it isn't too bad to coat the front of the car and headlights.

SPS fanatic.