Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

What controller and drivers are you using for your LEDs?
Old 11-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

For drivers...I have a mix of ELN 60-48D and HLG150H-48B. I also have a moonlight driver for 4 little moonlights still to arrive. I have one inventronics driver as well that I'm not sure I will use yet.

As for controller..I was always planning on doing the APEX...but after seeing the Cerebra...I've been saving to get that bad boy. My conversations with Vertex indicate that it should be released soon and pricing should align with Profilux (expensive I know)

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:28 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

interesting combo, I like the phrase it will be released soon, don't hold your breath. What about the PWM module, how long for that? Shortly after soon I presume.

Actually I just wanted to make sure you're avoiding profilux and that whole PWM module POS. You might also want to consider a Arduino controller just for the LEDs, it's cheap enough to use as a stand alone controller for just the lights then you can add your dream control when it gets released (Although I'm guessing you're not in a rush these days). I found a guy that builds them to order to the specs you need for a reasonable price if you're interested. With the Arduino you can also add lots of features and controls to say control heat sink temp with the fans, after all you won't actually need full fan power all the time.

Last edited by sphelps; 11-04-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:25 AM
Gold Member

Thanks for the info...given my delays...I may have time to wait for the release...haha, is that the bright side of this mess?

Last edited by mseepman; 11-05-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Gold Member

I got a little more done last night so i thought I would make sure this gets updated.

My fan controller arrived. Nothing too special...this was made for pc fans. This one can be run without the PC motherboard with just direct power feeding it from a DC power source.

Completed a diode test on all of the LED's with my multimeter and all were good.

I started wiring the lights. Now that I've done wiring on both a soldered fixture (my test fixture) and this bad boy with the BJB connectors....you have to be insane to solder. I keep waiting for the shoe to drop on what is bad about these but nothing so far has come to light.
Here's my progression:

And finally where I quit at midnight lastnight:

Old 11-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Gold Member

Well, a little time has passed since I last updated. I have been really busy so work on my light has gone slowly.

The good news is that despite the brutal treatment from the city on my house build...we figured out how to beat the building code and have done so without having to tear the basement out. What that means is that my house is once again under construction after 6 months of sitting there. Too bad now I have to pay extra to build in the winter.

Anyways, here's the pics...

Wiring of the main lights into their strings...done.

Moonlights have also been added but I forgot to take a picture.

Here's the house showing some signs of life!

Old 12-01-2011, 12:36 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

looking great, glad that things have been resolved. Are you and your neighbour square?

My favourite part was framing, things seem to go so fast at that point. Every day you go by, something major will have changed. Beats the electrical/HVAC/plumbing stage, where it can seem like whole weeks will go by without any noticeable changes.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:40 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

LED looks good mang.....and that view is beautiful!
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 12-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
LED looks good mang.....and that view is beautiful!
Thanks...we've been sitting on the lot since before there were any houses there in order to save some dough and pay as much as I could of the lot off. It should be good day when I can sit in my living room and look outside to that view and inside to the 7' tank view! Not sure which I will be looking at more.

The framing does go very fast and I agree that it's be best part since you really see progress. Today they should be putting in the floor joists and pouring concrete at our front door/walkway and rear deck.

I have steel beams coming in to support where the tank will be going as well as the front deck. Not sure when those arrive though.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:53 PM

Okguy is on a distinguished road

Looking good buddy! Hopefully the weather will hold off until the concrete and roof are in place.

I think my neck is going to be sore the first couple of visits swinging it back and forth between the view of the tank to the view of the lake!

50g tank 23g DIY Acrylic Sump\Refugium

Sold Dec 2009

Vacation Fun: http://members.shaw.ca/cabin54/