Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-08-2015, 12:07 AM

Sidius is on a distinguished road

In the spirit of burning out all you wonderful people offering me advice, I'll ask another qestion. This time it's regarding the closed loop system I was planning.

Myka mentioned using nozzles instead of spray bars. I'm open to lots of ideas so maybe you could elaborate? Keep in mind that my glass tank is Aqueon and the bottom pane is tempered glass (According to their website) so I won't be able to drill that. My idea was to make spray bars using PVC and then pile rocks on top of them. I'd drill two separate holes, 1 for each spray bar, because I want two rock piles separated by sand and I don't want to see the bars (of course). I got the idea from another reefer somewhere that came up with the idea for trying to keep things from settling under the rocks. I'm not completely sold that it will achieve what I want it to do, it just seemed like a great idea in theory. Nozzles could work great as an alternative. I would also like to add 4x outlets with nozzles on a 4-way wave maker alternating current. Essentially it will have 6x 1" outlets with 4 being active at any given time. Will the Reeflo barracuda/hammerhead hybrid be insane overkill for this? It's rated at between 4300 and 6000 gph depending on what impeller you use (this rating is with 0 head loss). Keep in mind that I really like the maxspect gyre's and plan to run 2 of them alternating as well (one at each end of the tank for alternating waves/current). I figure, the more I can keep detritus/nutrients suspended the more will be removed from my tank in the sump. I love the flow patterns that the Gyre's create.

Last edited by Sidius; 10-08-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:31 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidius View Post
In the spirit of burning out all you wonderful people offering me advice, I'll ask another qestion. This time it's regarding the closed loop system I was planning.
Not sure why you even want the complexity, expense, and noise of a CLS. I had one in my tank initially (inherited the system), and while it was very powerful and provided good water circulation, it also had a couple major drawbacks that I really didn't like.

Number one, is that it made a lot of noise. Not the type that is obviously loud, but it had a steady hum that could be heard/felt upstairs (pump is downstairs) and throughout much of the house. Did everything I could to make the pump quiet with the mounting and pipes, but could not get rid of that hum/vibration.

And the other real PITA was having to regularly clean the inlet inside the tank. I had an easily removal PVC pipe at the inlet with many holes drilled in it. These had to be small enough not to suck in tank inhabitants or other more solid matter from your tank. But coralline algae loved it, and other crap would gather at this spot, and it required regular attention and cleaning.

I eventually decommissioned it and just use in-tank powerheads. They are much more efficient at moving water, and can be repositioned easily as required. They also use a lot less power, and can be programmed to provide variable flow patterns. No noise and they are easier to clean.

Anyway, just some things to think about with a CLS.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:57 AM

Thank you for the feedback! I'm not sure I really know what I want lol. That kind of experience is great to hear... maybe I'll rethink the cls and add a couple more powerheads.

2 gyre's will offer good flow but do you think it's enough or would you recommend adding a couple vortechs or jebao pumps?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2015, 01:01 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I would add a couple Jebao pumps as well,... lots of flow, good for SPS. Plus with multiple pumps, if one dies for some reason, still have others to keep adequate flow. Biggest issue with powerheads is that you can't hide them,... well, not easily.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:17 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Number one, is that it made a lot of noise.

I eventually decommissioned it and just use in-tank powerheads. They are much more efficient at moving water, and can be repositioned easily as required. They also use a lot less power, and can be programmed to provide variable flow patterns. No noise and they are easier to clean.
This is definitely true. The giant pumps used for CL are noisy. Powerheads are easier to deal with. CL though can be invisible.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 10-08-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:47 AM

Ya the fact that CLS can be so hidden but add so much flow is what attracted me to them in the first place. Living in a townhouse, almost every wall I can put my tank has a neighbor on the other side. The vibrations and noise you described makes me worried they might be troublesome.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2015, 04:50 AM

e46er is on a distinguished road

i originally had my tank drilled for CL the pump seal crapped out and i havent got around to replacing it. I now have 4 jaebo RW8 that draw at max like 15-20 W each, 2 are on random and 2 are on wave but low setting so im assuming im drawing roughly 40 watts average for 5-6000gph with zero noise on the low side vs 100 watts for 2500 gph and constant hum.
my next tank will not have a CL but im also not opposed to a few cords in the tank which is a major benifit of a CL

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 10-08-2015, 04:37 PM

Does anyone have any thoughts about the protein skimmer debate?

I'm sure that topic has been beaten to death, so for that I'm sorry, it's just a tough choice. I really do like the Vertex Alpha... it's just so expensive. A used one is still the same or more than a brand new SRO