Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1

Old 10-30-2008, 05:07 AM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
Lighting box:

Getting there... but I didn't like this location in the house:

To combat the high temperatures (hit 98 on the first test run) I had to add some fans to the canopy. They are stealth 80mm fans running on a 12VDC adapter.

Here is the tank in the new location, we can't take advantage of the three viewable sides but it still looks good there for now.

And the first shot at the rockwork. Tried something new!

No livestock until I get home from work. I have to leave for about 2 weeks so the tank should be near ready for livestock when I get home.

Seriously Scott?.... Seriously? Get that tank outta there. That stand is not designed for that kinda location???

I go around telling people how you're a perfectionist... then you go and put a that's tank set up for 3 side viewing in a location like that... tear... I'm hurt I'm hurt... you're not the man I thought you were

The old location was wayyyyy better from what I can tell
Old 10-30-2008, 02:27 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Well I think he's eventually moving that monster terrarium in the background into the basement so the location should work better in the future.
Come on Wes don't give up on Scott just yet, he's just a little upset he messed up his special wood. You two were obviously made for each other.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:31 PM

Ok Ok... we'll see what he's got in mind and how things progress
Old 10-30-2008, 02:47 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Haahaa you guys are nuts.When I got the tank in the first location, it made the front room look really small and I didn't like that. The tank almost went to the basement which would have sucked but we juggled around some furniture and got things in a better state. I know Wes, I don't really like it there either but it's better than it being stuck in the basement. Steve, you are correct sir. The terrarium (6' tall, 4 ' wide, 2' deep) is going outside for daytime sunning of the reptiles and an even larger terrarium (6 x 4 x 4) will be built in the basement. I am going to use your halide with a UV shield and some supplemental ceramic heating and UVB.

Wendy has been watching the tank and she said my temperature was stable at 80 all day yesterday so I guess the fans are doing their job.

When I get home from work (2-3 weeks) I will test the tank and start adding livestock asap.

Cheers,

Wendy & Scott
Old 10-30-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
Haahaa you guys are nuts.When I got the tank in the first location, it made the front room look really small and I didn't like that. The tank almost went to the basement which would have sucked but we juggled around some furniture and got things in a better state. I know Wes, I don't really like it there either but it's better than it being stuck in the basement. Steve, you are correct sir. The terrarium (6' tall, 4 ' wide, 2' deep) is going outside for daytime sunning of the reptiles and an even larger terrarium (6 x 4 x 4) will be built in the basement. I am going to use your halide with a UV shield and some supplemental ceramic heating and UVB.

Wendy has been watching the tank and she said my temperature was stable at 80 all day yesterday so I guess the fans are doing their job.

When I get home from work (2-3 weeks) I will test the tank and start adding livestock asap.

Cheers,

Wendy & Scott

Well... I guess I'll let it slide for now
Old 11-08-2008, 02:42 PM

I am still undecided but I think some of these may make their way into the tank. What do you all think?

I am waiting to add livestock until I get some new stuff in from a trade I'm doing with another reefer.

I tested the basic tank parameters and they all check out:

NH3/4 between 0-1 ppm
NO3 nil
pH 8.1ish
salinity 1.024sg

I'll do Mg, Ca, Alk a little later on before stock goes in. The first water change is done as well. i am going to need to address the issue of breaking the surface of the water to break up a protein skim that is forming and the teeth I made for the overflow are awfully long so water never has to cascade through them. I'll figure it out sooner or later.

Cheers,

Wendy & Scott
Old 11-08-2008, 03:04 PM

Scott, those are all terrible, I wouldn't use any of them. But I'll help you out and I'll take them off your hands. I'll give you some candy cane and green polyps which will look way better.

On another note if you want to lift your teeth height just glue a piece of acrylic behind them. It's always easier to raise overflow height than lower it.

Last edited by sphelps; 11-08-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:04 PM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Scott, those are all terrible, I wouldn't use any of them. But I'll help you out and I'll take them off your hands. I'll give you some candy cane and green polyps which will look way better.
NO NO NO.....some of them fit MY color scheme so I'll take them.......you don't even have to ask...I'll just take em for ya cause I'm that kind of person...you can thank me later!

Old 11-09-2008, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
On another note if you want to lift your teeth height just glue a piece of acrylic behind them. It's always easier to raise overflow height than lower it.

My only concern is that the back section is going to be where all of the evaporation occurs. So if we are away from the tank for too long the water level won't be high enough to get over the teeth. The pump and the heater could get awfully hot all alone on the backside haahaa.

Let me know if you have any ideas Steve.

p.s. We need Colby's fish trap.....stupid striped cardinals.....
Old 11-09-2008, 04:27 PM

Either an ATO or more water flow and surface agitation, which I'm sure you already thought of.

The trap is at the store, but speaking of Colby, it's his B-Day today we should drag him out.