Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Banned

spawn is on a distinguished road
Default What would you do? Again with the x@#^*! Dosing

Needless to say, I am !@^&%#X choked right now. I just tested the para's for the first time since WC on sat. They have dropped from
ALK 9>7
CA 390>300
MG 1350=1350
Sal 1.026-<1.0265
I'm dosing, after a considerable drop from the last time I was whining about this...,
92 ml's of CA into 55 gal for rate of 1.67ml per gal
88 ml's of ALK into 55 gal for rate of 1.6ml per gal
Logic tells me to up the doses... but when I was dosing at a higher rate, the CA could not be maintained. So it had to be precipitating? As well the salinity was going up weekly due to the amount of supplements being added....so why add more.
I am honestly sick of &$^&#$%^ around with this, as it is a huge pain in the #%# & not fun or even the slightest bit interesting anymore. If I can't get this straightened out, I'm thinking of packing it in with this tank, & definitely reconsidering setting up a bigger one. As I have little to no faith that it will be any less of a pain in the @$@#. If anyone has anymore suggestions, I would love to hear them.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:27 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

what salt are you using?
how big a WC?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Banned

Reefers Best & 10 % WC. Those values were post WC. I've been doubtful of the chems because all of this seemed to start after getting my last batch of BRS.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:57 PM

reefers best has 420ca and 11dkh alk so i doubt a 10% WC is causing your problem, i am dosing 60ml/d ca and 80ml/d alk using Randys 2 part instructions in a 90 gal lps reef and my params are very steady ca 430 alk 9dkh, could your test kits be screwing with you? what kind are they?how are you mixing your chems? i've used BRS chems with no probs, i always follow Randys 2 part recipe when mixing and bake the baking soda if not using soda ash for alk(baking the baking soda turns it into soda ash)which has a higher ph.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Banned

No it's not the WC. Alk is tested on hanna. Ca & MG are on elos. Mix chems as directed. BRS recipe 1 for the higher ph.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:07 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

are you dosing into an area of high flow?

how much time do you leave between dosing calcium and alkalinity? You cant dose both at once.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

I would have to agree aswell that a 10% WC would not effect the CA that much in a 55g tank, perhaps your sps is sucking your systems dose down. You should dose some more calcium to your system to maintain the proper levels. I currently run a 75g sps system and I am dosing 1 teaspoon of calcium powder every 2-3 days diluted in 1 liter of rodi. I dunno what that equates to with your current 2 part but it's alot of calcium.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 11-16-2011, 06:15 PM

the brs recipe is basically the same as Randys, personnally i've had bad experiences with hanna checkers, but i have used elos and feel it is a good test kit, i use salifert and red sea now.
are u dosing all at once or using dosing pumps, dosing all at once can cause precip and dosing diff chems at the same time can cause probs to
Old 11-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
are you dosing into an area of high flow?

how much time do you leave between dosing calcium and alkalinity? You cant dose both at once.
Yes its into high flow, it goes though two sump chambers, then though a pump before hitting the DT. Dosing is done using the first two heads of a four head profilux. So I would guess between 15-30 mins between doses. As I've said before the paras were stable until august & @ that point I was dosing almost 4ml per gallon, which caused precip & the salinity to rise weekly while not maintaining CA levels. I can't figure it out unless the ca & mg tests are both pos. Or the ca supp. Is weak?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Banned

Thx tips. Read the above q & a as you are asking q's and appear not to be getting the answers.