Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 12-03-2012, 02:38 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
no mortage needed go with a Vertex Cone Denny

i dont think i remember those lol yes , honestly ive always been a vertex man but the times they are a changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by subman View Post
up until tonight I would have said no as I could set my watch by my bk but the reef booster I added yesterday has made it go crazy so you caught me on a bad night lol
the rlss does look impressive for sure, maybe I'll look at one next time I'm in the market for a new skimmer
all the same though if we were talking free and i could only take one.... either the top of the line bk or the top of the line rlss , yes i would take the bk anyday lol ....then id sell it move to the bahamas with my rlss lolllll i know ...cheesy
Old 12-03-2012, 02:48 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

A skimmer really comes down to two things, the pump and the build quality and attention to detail of the body. I've seen rlss skimmers, yes the build quality is good but not at the same level of BKs, does it use titanium screws? I think not

The wavelines have not proven themselves yet as decent contenders either. I run two waveline pumps, they are really good for the price especially being DC but they don't compare to the red dragons. The housing leak when used externally so the rlss external versions would not be a smart move IMO. The power supplies run way too hot, switched mine out to fan cooled units. Two issues I've had in a couple months, both pumps so not isolated issues.

The only thing I'd give it credit for is that it's Canadian made, however more likely relabeled Chinese products for the most part with Canadian assembly. Regardless anything labeled as Canadian made is a plus in my books. That said it's not German so the extra point still goes to BK

Not saying rlss skimmers aren't great, but certainly not better than BKs, making statements like that with no bases is just silly.

Last edited by sphelps; 12-03-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:54 AM
ChizerBunoi

Thanks for the response. I am running a Bubble Magus skimmer. According to Zeovit, you want to run a good protein skimmer, but not one that is too oversize that will pull out all of the food that you are dumping in. This is where the question came from.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:04 AM

Yeah it's probably been said already but a good skimmer comes down to reputable brand not the manufacture rating. Zeovit is just saying you need to skim good but don't go crazy and use a skimmer that's made for 10x the volume so it strips out everything you add immediately, that's all.

Sorry about the tanget, Denny started it
Old 12-03-2012, 03:10 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
That said it's not German so the extra point still goes to BK

ah yeah pull the german card lol

ive never ran the wavelines external yet but internal no issues i see, but like you said its a new line so who knows after some time, youve had yours longer i hope mine dont go south lol
Old 12-03-2012, 03:11 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post

Sorry about the tanget, Denny started it
lol i know its the carbon massacre all over again
Old 12-03-2012, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
ah yeah pull the german card lol
It is a good card
Old 12-03-2012, 03:28 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
lol i know its the carbon massacre all over again
I'm so confused.. So do I run carbon in my bubble king 400 or is that frowned upon?? Where do we stand on that? #TrollBait
Old 12-03-2012, 03:31 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I'm so confused.. So do I run carbon in my bubble king 400 or is that frowned upon?? Where do we stand on that? #TrollBait
some say to do it , but i dont like to run carbon in my skimmer....i run gfo and so far so good i get a good brown tea
Old 12-07-2012, 01:06 PM

Palmer is on a distinguished road

I don't have the SWC come skimmer which I hear are better I have the older extreme model with the sicce pump. I know a lot of people do not like this pump but this skimmer has been one of the best purchases I have made. I bought it in 2009 and it has been running without issue and producing good skim mate. The best thing though is the price I paid for what I got out of it. For my next tank I will be trying out a SWC cone skimmer given my success with this one.