Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 03-10-2010, 11:44 PM

TJSlayer is on a distinguished road

Well Day 2 so about 48hours of nog...., emptied cup today as not sure It would handle another 24hrs...

75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 03-12-2010, 03:50 AM

Nothing much new to report but the skimmer is working nice and smooth now very consistant skim amount and gross looking.

Still surprised that it broke in this quickly, gunk seems a bit darker today but hard to tell for sure, haven't had to adjust at all since the first night, but may start progressing towards a dryer skim, but fiure I'd leave it wet for a bit.

Should be starting Bio-Pellets on Monday so will be interesting to see what the skimmer does. Bio-Pellets are suppose to improve any skimmers performance, but not sure you couldget much better..

TJ
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 03-12-2010, 02:09 PM

Well update on skimmer....

Woke up this morning and the skimmer was overflowing like crazy..... (I think a snail blocked the outlet for a bit or something.....

So i took the opportunity to shut it down and raise it a little. I had it running a depth of about 8.5" which is at the upper limit for this skimmer, and it does fluctuate as the water evaporates throughout the day…

So I got out my handy snips and cut up some plastic egg crate to set in the bottom of the skimmer so that I could raise it up a little thus “lowering” the depth it was sitting at.

I now have it at about 7” or so and the first thing I noticed is how much easier it is to adjust the water level in the skimmer body.

So have it all setup and going again at the lower depth. This should also make it easier to run a drier skim as the backpressure on the water return is less.

Will let you know how it works out.

TJ
Old 03-13-2010, 02:17 PM

OK so I have determined for my setup that I wasnt the skimmer running between 6-7" of water, any more and I have problems with the skimmer overflowing when something makes it skim more. Had the same issues with every skimmer, until you find the sweet spot for your tank. But at 6-7" I can run it and adjust it easily.

Still can't believe the crap it pulls out. Which is also what I think caused it to overflow, after the initial break in it just pulled more and more......

Has been very stable since reducing the water depth.

Cheers

TJ
Old 03-13-2010, 03:32 PM

Palmer is on a distinguished road

Was your tank an established tank when you put the skimmer in? If so how long has your tank been up and running? I have a SWC Extreme 200 that I put into a new tank. I am happy with the skimmer but it skims dryer than what you are showing. The bubble production is great but since my tank is fairly new I am wondering if that may be part of the reason I am not getting as much skimmate. For all intensive purposes it is a completely different skimmer design and different pump though so I would not expect them to perform the same.

Palmer
Old 03-13-2010, 04:02 PM

Yeah my tank has been running for about 2 years and is pretty heavily stocked. If you want it wetter just lowere the riser pipe or turn Not sure how yours is adjusted) just make small adjustments so you can see how they work for you.....

Higher the water in skimmer body = more wet

Cheers
TJ
Old 03-13-2010, 04:08 PM

Palmer is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I set it up as close as possible to how they were recomending on the RC forum thread that is specific for this skimmer. Right now the water level is at the first bed in the skimmer body but could be higher. I may just play around with it like you said. I also have the skimmer raised so its in about 6-7 inches of water with little backpressure. I was just thinking that a new tank where I havent been feeding much and is lightly stocked may not produce as much skimmate.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:07 PM

More than likely not that much to skim yet.....

Wouldn't worry too much as it's so easy to adjust you can make changes as you need too...but sounds like you have it set about right....
Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 AM

Well skimmer is working very well at about 7" of water depth, starting to pull of darker skimate and averaging about 3/4" - 1" a day in the skimmer cup.

Very Happy

TJ
Old 03-16-2010, 07:38 PM

Just a FYI if anyone is thinking of getting these skimmers, you may want to get your order in ASAP they are going up $25....not a big deal just letting you know...