Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Contest 2012

Old 09-29-2012, 02:33 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

While I'm waiting for pic's to upload I'd thought I'd share a pic of my skimmate Not bad for a few days worth from a dinky airstone skimmer.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:45 AM

So I jumped in full speed ahead (like always ) and throughout the past 2 weeks I've added a few things. First I tired one of my maxi minis in the tank to see how it would do. I knew Steve from RCE was bringing more in and I wanted to make sure one did ok before adding more. Well it took forever to pry the darn thing off the rock (thought for I bit I might of killed it in my efforts to get it off) but finally it came off and I got it into the tank and it settled in just fine I also added a small clean up crew; 2 scarlet crabs and 3 nassarius snails.

then a few days after that I added a super cool porcelain crab (unfortunately he hides a lot and I rarely see him, I'm hoping he'll eventually host in one of the maxi minis)

Last edited by fishoholic; 09-29-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:04 AM

noirsphynx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
Well it took forever to pry the darn thing off the rock (thought for I bit I might of killed it in my efforts to get it off) but finally it came off and I got it into the tank and it settled in just fine

then a few days after that I added a super cool porcelain crab (unfortunately he hides a lot and I rarely see him, I'm hoping he'll eventually host in one of the maxi minis)
They're tough little buggers. I've done that a couple times and they always fully recover. Love minis

Nope, he'll probably never host Laurie, he's the wrong type of porcelain crab. The only ones that will host are the white porcelain anemone crabs.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noirsphynx View Post
They're tough little buggers. I've done that a couple times and they always fully recover. Love minis

Nope, he'll probably never host Laurie, he's the wrong type of porcelain crab. The only ones that will host are the white porcelain anemone crabs.
Huh good to know and darn! Oh well he still looks cool, that is when I can see him and he's not hiding at the very back of the tank
Old 09-29-2012, 04:13 AM

noirsphynx is on a distinguished road

What about a piece of black acrylic mounted above the overflow to block out the back of your tank and hide things? I just happen to know where you can get some
Old 09-29-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noirsphynx View Post
What about a piece of black acrylic mounted above the overflow to block out the back of your tank and hide things? I just happen to know where you can get some
Hummmmm that's a good idea. I turned the skimmer around so the hose goes behind the tank now, and it looks way better then it did, but you can still see the skimmer. Not sure how I'd attach it but I could probably think of something....hummmmm........
Old 09-29-2012, 02:57 PM

I also added 2 sexy shrimp last Wed. and after months of it being missing I saw one of my maxi minis in my 230g fowlr tank. Basically 4-5 months ago my first and one of my nicer maxi minis split on it's own, and then it literally split! Both halves disappeared in the tank. I saw it once over a month ago and it was really bleached out and then after a few days it disappeared again So when I saw it this time I pried it off the rock and stuck it in my nano tank.

What it used to look like

What it looks like now, the small one bottom right partly under the rock and on the sandbed with the sexy shrimp in front

Last edited by fishoholic; 09-29-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 PM

Few updates, a little while ago I went to Steve's store Red Coral and 3 new maxi mini's followed me home

They have moved around a bit since these pic's were taken so I'll try to get an updated pic later.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:42 PM

Last Sat. I finally got around to cleaning the glass for the first time with my acrylic safe small magfloat that I had hiding in a drawer. Ironically that same day Doug came home from work with a Nano mag cleaner for me

Old 10-08-2012, 03:45 PM

Acipenser is on a distinguished road

Can we get a FTS please !