Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 12-13-2010, 02:21 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road
Default From fresh to salt..

I will be converting a tank from fresh to salt water. Other than a good scrubbing of the glass what else is there to do? I was going to use the existing tank water when cleaning, clean glass, wipe out and dry blah blah.. Not using any cleaning agents or should I?
Old 12-13-2010, 02:59 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

water and vineger rinse out after with water...

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 12-13-2010, 06:21 PM

Keri is on a distinguished road

I would probably drain all the existing water and like the above poster said, use new water and vinegar and rinse well.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:54 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

oh and a huge packet of razor blades fromthe dollar store to scrape hard stuff off i need to pickup more for my next lil project

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 12-14-2010, 03:40 PM

bryceschutte is on a distinguished road

Have you done any type of ich treatment in your old tank? If so you could be asking for trouble. Personally I sold my freshwater set up because it was heavily medicated for ich at one point in time. Then just went out and bought a saltwater set up. Alot of the time its much cheaper to buy a tank of someone getting out of the hobby. Also the new set up usually comes with proper lights and filtration.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:35 PM

Last Ich treatment would have been over two years and a change of residence ago. Not too worried about that, hopefully a good cleaning and a four to five week cycle make it a none issue. I know what I have with this tank, buying another used can carry medication issues of its own.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:18 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

good you found this forum, as historically most FW to SW conversions are unsuccessful and/or riddled with costly mistakes

does this system have a sump?

also, if you treated the tank historically with copper-based medications (or any medication really), consider replacing the tank as those medications are known to leach out of the silcone...........the price of a new tank is MUCH cheaper than learning that it may be the cause of losses/contamination down the road. Should you think the tank is exspensive........perhaps research further the costs you will be incurring with the conversion.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:35 PM

Copperbased I'm not sure, if fresh water Ich treatments have any copper than I guess I have. Unless the saltwater itself draws things out from the silicone I can't see much of anything being left from over two years ago. I may be wrong and don't profess to be a know-it-all. A new tank would be nice but I allready have 55, 2x10 sitting in the garage, I don't think my wife would like to see the 77 next to them with a new replacement sitting in the house.

No sump at this point but I have been running another salt tank for the last year with no sump and tons of LPS, not 100% successful but what tank is. Probalby a HOB skimmer, Octupus or some other decent skimmer. Frankly sumps scare the crap out of me ( flood etc)...but so did a salt tank before I jumped in feet first so maybe down the road.

Not using the existing lighting but T5'S, some ecco rock, live rock from my other tank and some new live rock and away I go. I was never one to micro manage my tanks, I would drive myself and my wife crazy...
Old 12-14-2010, 07:38 PM

ickmagnet is on a distinguished road

If your tank is not drilled, I would drill it if possible.

Saltwater systems work the best with a sump.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:11 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

The learning curve can be expensive, but if you alrady have a SW tank set-up you must have already learned a great deal.

Conversions are something most "big box" stores will say is easy, but ultimately fail (the same guys who sell you seahorses to take home with your new tank)

Gotta ask - you own an RO/RODI unit right?

As noted above by ick, definitely research a drilled tank and how a sump works. Properly set-up they are fool proof and offer many many benefits. There are tonnes of resources online about this. Deciding you want to drill a tank once full of livestock is much more timely and costly that doing it before it sees water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
Copperbased I'm not sure, if fresh water Ich treatments have any copper than I guess I have. Unless the saltwater itself draws things out from the silicone I can't see much of anything being left from over two years ago. I may be wrong and don't profess to be a know-it-all. A new tank would be nice but I allready have 55, 2x10 sitting in the garage, I don't think my wife would like to see the 77 next to them with a new replacement sitting in the house.

No sump at this point but I have been running another salt tank for the last year with no sump and tons of LPS, not 100% successful but what tank is. Probalby a HOB skimmer, Octupus or some other decent skimmer. Frankly sumps scare the crap out of me ( flood etc)...but so did a salt tank before I jumped in feet first so maybe down the road.

Not using the existing lighting but T5'S, some ecco rock, live rock from my other tank and some new live rock and away I go. I was never one to micro manage my tanks, I would drive myself and my wife crazy...