Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-25-2011, 04:58 AM

HL649 is on a distinguished road
Default Ideas For Auto Top-Off

I plan on installing an auto top-off system in my sump. I use well water so I plan on using a 1/4" line off my kitchen water line for a water source. This will likely run to a float valve in the sump. I have been looking at a Eshopps float valve (it looks fairly well made). Can anyone tell me how much pressure these float valves can handle? Any ideas to improve on my idea?

Thanks.
75 Gal. display with 40 Gal sump - Dual 1.5" drains, Aragonite sugar sand substrate, SWC Extreme 250 Cone Protein Skimmer, 1800L return pump, 4 AI SOL LED Lights, 250 ml pellets in a recirculating bio-pellet reactor, BRS Doser pumps for Calc & Alk, Tunze Osmolator Auto Topoff system connected Vertex Puratek RO/DI.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:01 AM

zum14 is on a distinguished road

Id look into some sort of safety. Something so that if that float switch fails or hangs up and decides to fill your tank with an endless supply of freshwater it will stop it.

"Nah, unless they got any big, giant robot camels I think were ok."

"Ah.....Jim.......robot camels"
Old 02-25-2011, 12:34 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

no filtering?

I'm using a humidifier float valve, not sure the rating but figure it can handle at least wha'st normal residential pressure (~60psi).
Old 02-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I run from my water feed into my RO unit with an auto shutoff, then through a solenoid that opens 15 minutes every 3 hours, into a kent float valve. I wouldn't trust a float valve to hold house pressure long term. Without the solenoid, my float does let some water creep by.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:25 PM

apex82 is on a distinguished road

I just use a timer with a slow pump (toms aqualifter)
Old 02-25-2011, 04:38 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I would suggest using two electric float valves wired in series with one mounted slightly higher than the other in the sump. Run the float valves in series with a rainbird sprinkler solenoid valve and 24VAC transformer. The current draw on the valve is less than 1A so you don't need a relay. A couple bushings to reduce the 1/2" or 3/4" valve input and output to 1/4" will be needed. Run the transformer on a regular digital timer for added safety so it can only be activated to set amount of time. Whole system should run you around $80 to $100.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:45 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

The thing with a float valve is... Should extra water flow through, this increases the water level, increasing the pressure shutting off the float. Unless the float breaks right off, they are pretty reliable.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 02-25-2011, 07:42 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I remember talking to a guy a while back who used a kent abs float directly connected to his RO. Worked fine until his heater suction mount came loose and his heat fell against the float. Apparently it destroyed his entire tank and caused significant water damage in the house, said it was over $10K in damages alone which his insurance did cover but the tank was a total loss.

Realistically any system can fail but it's wise to add some kind of safety system to a direct water connection. A solenoid valve and a timer is fairly cheap and no doubt a good idea.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:37 PM

Pescador is on a distinguished road

It's better to put the float in a container and use a top up from that if you can.
And there is the TDS creep issue if your using DI.

Melev has a couple good articles here

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/ml/index.php

http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.p...thy-of-concern
110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium
Old 02-25-2011, 11:59 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

I would suggest doing away with all mechanical float switches altogether and go with a tunze
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694