Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-19-2017, 06:46 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
Well judging from your frags you got it down!
So there is no doubt in my mind your tank parameters are spot on.
Thank you for the compliment, everyone’s tank is different , so it’s hard to copy what one person is doing and have success. I’m always learning in this hobby , just when I think I have the tank figured out , something changes and I’m stuck wondering why lol.

As far as the acans go , over the years I’ve went through a couple patches where they just didn’t do well. They would shrivel up one or two at a time , and then slowly melt away , like they were slowly being eaten. I believe it’s some sort of bacterial infection that’s spreads from one to the other , but who knows. Then it just seems to stop , and back to normal. Very frustrating sometimes
Old 10-20-2017, 09:31 AM

Etaloche is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman76 View Post
I find the opposite when it comes to acans , if nutrients get too low they are not happy. It also depends “how” they’ve gotten too low. If you are feeding the tank plenty ,and the nutrients are naturally low ,due to denitrifying bacteria doing their job, then it’s usually not an issue, however if they’re low from excessive carbon dosing , and stripping the water with carbon/gfo etc , then LPS and in particular acans will suffer ime.
Interesting you say that, I started using NOPO4x quite aggressively recently. Didn't have luck with euphyllias even way before I started dosing, but acans have been growing well for me until very recently where they've slowly withered away over the course of months.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:12 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

I’m using NOPO-X (2ml on the chart per gallon ratio). Seems to be working well, the other day I noticed some weird stringy snot algae stuff in my sump. So not sure.