Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-29-2014, 12:23 AM

Gp Scott is on a distinguished road

I did the pluming on it enough to test the tank and sump with tap water.

So I filled the tank and sump and ran the system. Every thing ran fine but the mag 24 was noisy even for being down stairs so I temporarily rapped it in bubble rap to see if I could make it quieter and it did. Also my herbie was making noise and air locking so Matt at concept told me to make a dorso. It worked but I can still hear water running down the drain but I will deal with that later.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post
Looks great. Denny and I are going to start talking about my build tomorrow. Looks similar, but I'm going with a cube (I think). Where are you going to put the sump? Doesn't look like there is enough room below for the skimmer? unless your kid is a giant
I put my sump in the basement because I had everything there I needed water,sewer drains,power I added 3 gfi in mech room for it. When I cut my floor I made it the same size as a floor register so if we decide to move I could pull the tank and drywall and put in register in
Old 07-29-2014, 01:08 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Nice looking build! If I may make an observation, I don't see a valve on your Herbie.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Nice looking build! If I may make an observation, I don't see a valve on your Herbie.

Not sure what you mean about a valve on the herbie ? But this is what I put on the main drain it's a dorso water flows thru 90 into T with a cap and hole in it so I always have air after water I could also put a valve on top too to regulate the air. The other pipe is emergency. I would never put a valve on a drain.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:31 AM

mihaivapler is on a distinguished road

To be able to have a quite herbie overflow you need a valve to be able to cut down the flow so it is quite.it has to be installed on the main drain just under your union.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:48 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihaivapler View Post
To be able to have a quite herbie overflow you need a valve to be able to cut down the flow so it is quite.it has to be installed on the main drain just under your union.
Yeah, what mihaivapler said! Personally I would recommend the valve just above the sump, this enables you to run full siphon the entire length of the pipe. Only the short section of pipe after the valve will have any air in it (which makes all the noise). Also this increases your overall water volume. A properly tuned Herbie is silent.

------> http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-...method-basics/
Old 07-29-2014, 02:56 AM

i have it the same,just before flows in the sump,but in his case having the sump in the basement it will be very hard to adjust it..and must be a gate valve,the regular valve it is very hard to adjust..you can see in the picture,the left pipe is the emergence and the right one is the main drain whit a 1" gate valveAttachment 13077

Last edited by mihaivapler; 08-03-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihaivapler View Post
i have it the same,just before flows in the sump,but in his case having the sump in the basement it will be very hard to adjust it..and must be a gate valve,the regular valve it is very hard to adjust..you can see in the picture,the left pipe is the emergence and the right one is the main drain whit a 1" gate valveAttachment 13077
I'm sorry I'm still not understanding Y I would put a valve there when I could adjust the flow going in and out by the valves going into the tank from pump and the dorso makes the water flow smoothly by putting air behind water like the pluming in your house. My line doesn't free fall into sump so the only air it gets is from the dorso it was air locking before I put it on. I may be wrong but in my theory putting a valve there is asking for trouble plugging easy because your restricting the flow.

The line on the left is emergency
Old 07-29-2014, 04:07 AM

by adjusting the valve from to pump is not the best idea.it just put extra pressure on the pump which will cause premature wear f the pump..
the herbie style is absolute quite,dead silent, and if is done correctly it is 100% safe.you need to have the emergence drain which you have.i have this system on all my systems and never had an issue,in case you have a snail trapped in the valve the emergence drain will carry the water..i have this system for 2 years and never had it clogged.and the other advantage over the dorso pipe is that you have 0 air going in the drain ,whit the dorso you have some noise from the air being sucked in the pipe..and because you have the sump in the basement it will be no noise from the pumps and skimmer..this is just my opinion.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Yeah, what mihaivapler said! Personally I would recommend the valve just above the sump, this enables you to run full siphon the entire length of the pipe. Only the short section of pipe after the valve will have any air in it (which makes all the noise). Also this increases your overall water volume. A properly tuned Herbie is silent.

------> http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-...method-basics/
I just noticed the link you posted that clears it all up for me I think I will try the valve when I get water back into the tank. But I think I should try and put it in the basement at sump just so my kids don't mess with it. It might be tough to tune in because my pump is T of to refuge and any extras.