Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-01-2017, 02:02 PM

kengeroo is on a distinguished road
Default survival rate

everything looks good,,,
even still seeing copepods shells molting,,
so they are also still alive and well and growing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
That's like a miracle drug! I wonder what else it's killing that you may or may not be seeing?
Old 02-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengeroo View Post
everything looks good,,,
even still seeing copepods shells molting,,
so they are also still alive and well and growing..
Any before pics?

So I did a small dose of 5mg for 110g and nothing happened, waited 2 days, I added the remainder of the blister pack now will have to wait and see, because bryopsis has only taken foot in my sump I placed it in there, used a turkey basted to add the stuff. Will wait patiently till it's all gone then do a 30g wc.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 02-01-2017, 05:04 PM

Default pics and dosage...

before pics are earlier in the thread...

and I'm pretty sure 5mg for a 110 gallon is nearly not enough...
supposed to be 20 Mg per gallon,, so you're dosing for an aquarium the size of a coffe cup..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
Any before pics?

So I did a small dose of 5mg for 110g and nothing happened, waited 2 days, I added the remainder of the blister pack now will have to wait and see, because bryopsis has only taken foot in my sump I placed it in there, used a turkey basted to add the stuff. Will wait patiently till it's all gone then do a 30g wc.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:31 PM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I wonder what else it's killing that you may or may not be seeing?
That's a great question... I wonder if anyone has tried to contact anyone regarding research on long term effects on unseen life forms. All we have right now is a bunch of guinea pigs. At least short term from what people have observed I've yet to read any negative effects on anything. Keng mentioned losing some "weaker SPS" to RTN, not sure if he can elaborate on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengeroo View Post
and I'm pretty sure 5mg for a 110 gallon is nearly not enough...
supposed to be 20 Mg per gallon, so you're dosing for an aquarium the size of a coffe cup..
He dosed 5.45mg per gallon x 110 gallons = 600mg. Enough to adequately treat a 30 gallon tank, a little bigger than a coffee cup

Here's a quote from Monday on R2R...
"Gone completely. Treatment was started wed night, over 100s of sps colonys. Every type of corals, gonipora, mushrooms, zoas, leptos, shrooms, favia/favites, all types of acans, rock nems, blastos, euphyllia ,acros and montis, nudibranchs, fish, hermitz snails, sea hare, madractis, aiptasia , cheato, calerpa, red algaes plus more. Were all fine, nothing was affected other then bryopsis. All equipment running at 20mg p gallon. Took my buddy 5 days to kill all traces of bryopsis"
Old 02-02-2017, 05:41 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

I am still not bryopsis free after 7 days. There is still quite a bit of it and it is not looking healthy. The bryopsis took a hit but it seems to have leveled off in the past few days. I do not think it is actively growing but I will have to manually start removing it. I am wondering if starting up my skimmer after day 2 removed the fungicide. The red cyno that started to grow when I shut off the skimmer is completely gone.

Did anyone else run their skimmer while they were treating?
Old 02-02-2017, 03:00 PM

Default put some more in !!!

I removed my carbon/chemi-pure (as per Gofish)..
Skimmer was left running...

I actually put another table in on day 4, just in case...

The sps that RTN's had been recently hit by a neighbor and had a little bit of tissue loss before the medication,, I geuss it couldn't handle the change...

I did not have to manually remove the bryopsis,, it either melted away, went into the filters ,, or was consumed by my crabs,,, (for some reason they love rotting bryopsis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
I am still not bryopsis free after 7 days. There is still quite a bit of it and it is not looking healthy. The bryopsis took a hit but it seems to have leveled off in the past few days. I do not think it is actively growing but I will have to manually start removing it. I am wondering if starting up my skimmer after day 2 removed the fungicide. The red cyno that started to grow when I shut off the skimmer is completely gone.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Might need to add 1 more capsule.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

I weeded out as much as I could before medicating as I wanted the meds to get the roots.

On day 2 now so we will see how it is.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 02-02-2017, 10:07 PM

for a 110 gal,, would you not need 11 capsules ????
I have a 65 gallon and I used 7 in total...

Quote:
Might need to add 1 more capsule.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:33 PM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
I weeded out as much as I could before medicating as I wanted the meds to get the roots.

On day 2 now so we will see how it is.
So you're at a full dose @ 20mg/gallon instead of 5mg/gallon now? Actually read that someone was able to get rid of their bryopsis at the lower 5mg dose, didn't provide much detail or photos though. Im definitely not a scientist or doctor but suppose in theory it's possible to create a strain resistant to this medication if using too little. Kind of how vaccines are "supposed" to work.
As far as manual removal first, it isn't necessary but probably won't hurt.

Quote:

No skimmer here, I don't even have one in the tank.
Glad you're Cyano is gone, now onto the Bryopsis. If the remainder isn't looking healthy than it probably is bryopsis and just give it a bit longer. If it's not going away then it could be another type of algae mixed in?
I've yet to see anyone mention that it didn't take care of all the Bryopsis, but have seen someone say they were Bryopsis free after 18days