Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-17-2011, 01:02 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default Good reef rule...

Don't mess with shite, you might break it. Luckily the left side of my rock did NOT collapse, but it was close. Leave. Tank. Alone.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:12 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

oh man have been there buddy i dropped a rock on a bare bottom tank once and literally watched it fall in slow motion i swear i swallowed a lung i gasped so hard lol nothing broke though...thank god
Old 07-17-2011, 05:45 AM

tinman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Don't mess with shite, you might break it. Luckily the left side of my rock did NOT collapse, but it was close. Leave. Tank. Alone.
Been there done that got the hat and t shirt now my girl just flicks me on the forehead every time I get a crazy notion to muck around in the tank apparently I have not learned a lesson yet!!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:59 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

With my new FOWLR tank I've pretty much cemented the rock together. The cost of hopefully preventing any kind of a collapse is that there's no hope of making adjustments. I will rue this decision on the day that I have to go spelunking to remove fish but hopefully that day will not be too terribly soon. Actually in the meantime it's kind of fun, I made a kind of habitrail structure for my eel by building rock around a network of PVC pipes that poke out here and there, so hopefully this experiment pans out. We'll see.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:13 PM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road

Back in 2003 ish I was messing with my basement sump when I first set it up. Trying to jam a piece of acrylic in place in the sump before work.

Should have left things alone!

The acrylic slipped. Jambed my top of my right hand against it. Cut through my tendon on the top of my finger.

I have a cool scar to show for it
-----------------------------------
www.cakerybakery.ca
Old 07-17-2011, 03:18 PM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

Two weekends ago I tried shifting one rock. I swear it must have been the kestone for the whole pile because everything started to wobble. One touch of my finger and one whole side of the pile collapsed! I redid it with a little more structural soundness (and some epoxy).
Old 07-17-2011, 03:35 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Oh cmon Guys......thats the first rule of reef keeping isnt it??? DONT TOUCH THE ROCK WORK!.....Its a scientific fact that when skin touches LR a chemical reaction occurs that changes the molecular structure of the rock, making it impossible to put back the way it was
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 07-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Oh cmon Guys......thats the first rule of reef keeping isnt it??? DONT TOUCH THE ROCK WORK!
Yup, just thought I'd reiterate it for the new people, who, like me, will disregard anyway and knock everything over.
I wasn't even touching rock, just moving an unmounted colony. And now I have to touch it again to fix it, since it shifted 2 inches and may fall over anytime now...
Old 07-17-2011, 08:04 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Oh cmon Guys......thats the first rule of reef keeping isnt it??? DONT TOUCH THE ROCK WORK!.....Its a scientific fact that when skin touches LR a chemical reaction occurs that changes the molecular structure of the rock, making it impossible to put back the way it was
This fact has caused me literally hours of expletive spewing rage.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:05 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
This fact has caused me literally hours of expletive spewing rage.
+1

tried mounting a frag once and they whole thing shifted.... then a nice big rock hit the front pane... yup i changed my shorts shortly after....
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.