Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 06-16-2008, 06:36 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Hey Scott, glad to see you lowered your height from your original 30", I see you may have reduced it twice? picture shows 24" but you also stated 22".

For your overflow I have a suggestion. Don't go with an end to end design. Stick with something smaller like 12-18". You can notch the glass and go with an external overflow. From my experience the larger end to end overflows do not skim the surface as well. If you use a smaller one you'll be creating a higher velocity flow from the tank into the overflow which will increase surface tension and actually skim the surface water better. With the end to end you're not going to get a good velocity nor surface tension and as a result will not skim the surface as well. Think of it like a vacuum cleaner, with a huge nozzle it's difficult to suck stuff up, but with a small nozzle it's much more effective.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:38 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

Nice stuff Scott. Good to see you hear on Canreef. Dave
Old 06-16-2008, 07:05 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Those are some sweet dimensions for a tank..
Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

Nice pic's...Welcome aboard!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:52 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

I think 22" will be water level height, 24" will be the glass top.... to be honest I haven't quite decided. I would like to be able to reach the bottom in most areas of the tank but the 4 foot front to back dimension makes that difficult.

The overflow will be two smaller overflows at either side of the back pane most likely to surface skim from either side of the tank. And yes, they will be small to promote water movement.

There will be two or three returns with most of the in-tank circulation being taken care of by vortechs.

Haven't figured it all out quite yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Hey Scott, glad to see you lowered your height from your original 30", I see you may have reduced it twice? picture shows 24" but you also stated 22".

For your overflow I have a suggestion. Don't go with an end to end design. Stick with something smaller like 12-18". You can notch the glass and go with an external overflow. From my experience the larger end to end overflows do not skim the surface as well. If you use a smaller one you'll be creating a higher velocity flow from the tank into the overflow which will increase surface tension and actually skim the surface water better. With the end to end you're not going to get a good velocity nor surface tension and as a result will not skim the surface as well. Think of it like a vacuum cleaner, with a huge nozzle it's difficult to suck stuff up, but with a small nozzle it's much more effective.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:54 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedfrags.com View Post
Nice stuff Scott. Good to see you hear on Canreef. Dave
Thanks Dave, I have my eye on a couple of your goodies on the site. Might have to get another order together in a month or so.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:51 AM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Scott buddy good to see you. I miss your beautiful face. What ever your new tank's final dimensions are I'm sure it'll be nice. Guy has got taste and he's also got 3/4 of a zoo in his place. What's that thing that was in the telus commercials, I think it can change color and has a huge tounge?