Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Aqua Digital > GHL Profilux Info & Support

Old 11-18-2013, 02:16 AM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road
Default Internet connectivity troubles for P3 EX

Hello All,

I need some help I have successfully connected my P3 to my LAN and am able to access the P3 through profilux control on my home wireless network. I let the Profilix select it's own IP address. When I am away from my LAN, I cannot access the profilux. I have checked with my internet provider and they looked at my network and said that all of my ports, port 80 included, are set to port forwarding. So in summary the ports are set to forward the info, but I can't access the P3 EX from the net.

Any help is appreciated.

Scott
Old 11-18-2013, 03:45 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

You need a static IP with DynDNS. I ended up paying for a membership, not sure if it can be for free or whats involved.

I assume profilux webserver is working correctly sense you can access it locally. So you'll need to register at DynDNS, dyndns.org or similar
There should be some DNS software and once setup it should be pretty easy.

Last edited by sphelps; 11-18-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:55 AM

That's what I have been told on aquarium computer.com. I am waiting to hear back from the people that host my photography website to see if this is something they can do for cheaper than $25 per year.

Thanks for the help Steve.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:57 AM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

I'm not a tech guy, but is it possible for GHL to get rid of all of this port forwarding/ static IP non-sense that most hobbyists do not understand? I don't know a single person who has been able to enable remote access to their Profilux without some sort of issue. It seems like Aqua Illumination was able to get around all of that with AI director.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:37 AM

waynemah is on a distinguished road

The port forwarding has nothing to do with the Profilux or any controller for that matter. But you need to forward the port to a specific internal IP address. If it were me I would assign a static IP to your Profilux and make sure it's on the same subnet as your router... From there you will want to port forward to the static IP.

Steps I would take...

Take note of your IP and subnet. Most routers are set to 192.168.x.x network with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. If you run ipconfig /all in a command prompt (windows box) it'll give you the info your looking for.

Assign the Profilux it's own IP within your network. Essentially take the last part of your IP and choose something that is not in use (ping the address to make sure it's not in use).

Port forward port 80 to your static Profilux IP in your router... It sounds like you know how to do this.

Go to whatsmyip.org. This will tell you your external address. This is the address you will use to access your box from outside your LAN.

Unless there are specific firewall rules in your router that block port 80 (which there might be), this should work for you.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:34 AM

Thanks Wayne. When I get home (friday) I will give this all a go! I was on the phone with the Internet Provider and she specifically told me "all ports on the router are open and accessible from the net" I don't know enough to question that statment. But I will go through the steps you listed when I can.

Cheers,
Scott
Old 11-21-2013, 03:34 PM

Derek14 is on a distinguished road

There's a couple of free ones.

Dlink and No-ip. That's if you don't have static ip, which you probably don't. You can have No-ip check if your external ip change and change it for you. Just register with them and select a domain name. You can use the same dns domain for everything. You just need to set your camera, profilux or whatever else you use on it's on port. This is where you would need to set you port forwarding in your router. To get into your router, you need to type in the address bar the ip, usually 192.168.2.1, depending on your isp.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:37 AM

Thanks Derek. I will be working on this once I get home tomorrow!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:50 AM

Derek14 is on a distinguished road

No probs. Let me know how it works for you. I can send you some tokens for email notifications once you have it setup.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:45 AM

Anyone know what I should be putting in here? I have my dyndns account, and set up dyndns hostname (service type: Host with IP address, entered my router IP address). This page is from my home router, which has a Dynamic DNS section that lets me enter my dyndns info so that it updates the ip address (as far as I can figure out).

I don't know exactly what to put in for the port forwarding info.

Last edited by Scythanith; 11-26-2013 at 12:54 AM.