Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 08-08-2013, 01:19 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road
Default Cad Lights Conic Protein Skimmer (TIA-1150)

Just thought I'd post my thoughts on this skimmer I've had it for 2 months now and let it run in a tank for a few weeks before using it in the sump. For people on a budget or requiring a smaller footprint the Cad lights skimmer line definitely fills the bill and comes with the built in pump and comes ready to use

Positives
-It is very quiet has 4 rubber foot pegs on the bottom for noise dampening and anti vibration my return pump is noisier than the skimmer
-foot print is small 9.75 inches by 6.5 inches by 18.5 high
-no micro bubbles produced
-very easy adjustment for producing bubbles and simple design makes it user friendly
-collection cup can be connected to an external drain and only requires half and inch of space to remove the cup for cleaning
-easy to clean skimmer without pulling apart can put in a vinegar bath and let it self clean for a few hrs

Negatives
-rubber foot pegs are a pain easy for them to fall off
-electrical cord relatively short
-pipe used for bubble and flow adjustment tends to bind making micro-adjustments annoying

This is still a relative new comer to the aquarium hobbyist but is already making quite a splash due to its low cost and ease of use and is pretty durable.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:10 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

I've been eying up this skimmer as well. What's the performance like? Have you had other skimmers you could compare it too? What size tank are you running and what's your bioload?
Old 08-08-2013, 05:16 AM
LOVES STAR WARS... mostly Ewoks and Porgs.

hunggi74 is on a distinguished road

I have the same skimmer and am quite happy with it. It is super quiet! Have had it running for almost 4 months and haven't had any issues yet. Will have to wait and see in regards to longevity. The price is definitely right for the performance you get. Even in my small tank with only a clownfish and dotty back, it's able to pull in a fair amount of skimate. Hope this helps (or adds to the headache) for anyone looking for an affordable skimmer.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:21 AM
No Cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I've been eying up this skimmer as well. What's the performance like? Have you had other skimmers you could compare it too? What size tank are you running and what's your bioload?
I am cycling my 95 gallon tank with it and not much load as of yet but it has been skimming pretty good so far making some pretty good sized bubbles with it. Unfortunately this is my first experience with in sump skimmers so still on a learning curve but I am extremely impressed with how quiet it is and easy it is to adjust the flow and bubbles.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:47 AM
No Cookies

took some picts of the skimmer in action

The collection cup with drain hose connection

On the left hand side is The flow and bubbler adjustment pipe it pulls right out and has 45 degree cut for flow opening twist left or right to increase or decrease flow and bubbles. Tube on the right is connected to the venturi some people have bored out the venturi to get better bubble flow

Side view with the inlet to pump with venturi the motor sits directly underneath the skimmer and adjustment pipe is connected to the discharge side
Old 08-29-2013, 08:19 PM
No Cookies

It's been just over 2 months since the skimmer started skimming and I couldn't be happier with it I'm running on the heavy side of a medium bio load and the skimmer is pulling tons of solids out of the system I am emptying the cup every 3 or 4 days and has heavy buildup of material in the cup. I would recommend this skimmer to anyone it's a joy to work with
Old 09-02-2013, 03:07 PM

oupulino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
It's been just over 2 months since the skimmer started skimming and I couldn't be happier with it I'm running on the heavy side of a medium bio load and the skimmer is pulling tons of solids out of the system I am emptying the cup every 3 or 4 days and has heavy buildup of material in the cup. I would recommend this skimmer to anyone it's a joy to work with
can you post some pictures of skimmate in collection cup.How thick is acrylic cone and quality build is thicker than Bubble Magus Curve 5 Protein Skimmer
Old 09-04-2013, 01:27 AM
No Cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by oupulino View Post
can you post some pictures of skimmate in collection cup.How thick is acrylic cone and quality build is thicker than Bubble Magus Curve 5 Protein Skimmer

Sorry didn't reply sooner was too damn tired last night. I don't know the comparison with the Bubble Magus Curve 5 Protein Skimmer but the acrylic is thick for both the cone and skimmer collection cup several MM thick and has proven to be durable as well the cup is 4.5 inches deep and 5.5 inches wide and already has been dropped a couple of times. I see no real issues as of yet with the skimmer it is doing the job as advertised and it is dead quiet.

Included 2 pictures of the collection cup

This is with 3 days of skimming on the high end of a medium load

Inside the cup just before cleaning

Hope this answers some of your questions
Old 09-04-2013, 04:37 AM

oupulino is on a distinguished road

looks good I think to get this one how to find out who make the pomps for them ?
Old 12-15-2013, 06:01 AM
No Cookies

It's been 6 months now since I started using the cadlights full time and I have nothing but praise for it the skimmer still runs silently have not had any issues with micro bubbles or the motor and the skimmer cup works awesomely. I just cleaned the skimmer in a vinegar bath and it cleaned up surprisingly well I am very impressed with the ease that it pulls apart for cleaning and very simple to put back together with no fighting to fit parts.

I have not had to deal with customer service so on that end I can offer no comment but then again I have had no issues with the skimmer either but for the price it packs a pretty good wallop and even though it's the new kid on the block I would have no problems recommending this to others.