Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 04-09-2019, 10:27 PM

killerbren is on a distinguished road
Default Need opinions on roller mat filters

Hi everyone,

Looking to get some info on some of the roller mats out there. I have a 170 gallon display and 40 gallon sump. I was originally waiting for the Klir Di-7, but since it came out the reviews have been less than ideal. Switching gears I decided to look at other brands.

Is there anything out there that you would recommend? There is a Clarisea sk5000 that seems to have great reviews although it is quite spendy. Havent heard much about the bubble magus or the theiling compact. Wondering if anybody has any recommendations.

Thanks,
Old 12-29-2022, 12:37 PM

TStorm is on a distinguished road
Default Clarisea

I have the smaller Clarisea and no issues on a RedSea 450XL, i would not ever do socks again.
just getting another tank setup and thinking to try the RedSea reefmat.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:09 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I have the Bubble Magus ARF-L for my 300g and it works well. I have had some issues with the motor but the manufacturer has taken good care of me and the last one I got was a big improvement over the original so I don't foresee more issues.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-07-2023, 03:43 AM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee

FYI dont get the BIG huge filler rolls for the ARF-L. The waste roll will gain size and start rubbing on the new roll and it will eventually burn out the motor.
Alternatively split the big roll into two by rolling it on another roll paper towel roll before using it.
This is from my personal experience and having to buy replacment motor
Old 01-09-2023, 11:48 PM
Gold Member

Very interesting, I've never had that issue...I've had issues with motors but mine have never had the rolls touch. I'm using one of the big huge rolls now and there is a 1/4" always there from new to used up.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:36 AM

bades is on a distinguished road
Default Roller Mats

I'm on my second roller mat and have been impressed with both of them, however,.......
At first I was skeptical about any roller mat regarding performance and smell from the used fleece. However, both of those items were not a issue.

I bought my first roller mat probably 4 years ago, it was the ClariSea SK-5000. I used it on my 140 gallon that was pretty heavily stocked. It did a phenomenal job, but found a couple of things that I didn't think of before I purchased it. The first was that I was going thru a roll of fleece in just under a month (I thought that they would last longer), ultimately costing a few more $$$. Secondly, I found it a pain in the butt to change fleece rolls (I would staple the new roll to the end of the old roll instead of manually guiding the fleece thru the basket to the waste roller every time it had to be changed. ALSO, when unpacking and putting the roller together, every piece of the roller was protected in a plastic peel off protected film (for lack of better words) that took quite awhile to put together.

The second one that I purchased recently and have had on my 320 gallon for only a week is the Red Sea ReefMat 1200. I am TOTALLY IMPRESSED with it so far. Putting it together was so much easier and though I haven't changed a fleece roll yet, it WILL be easier than the ClariSea. The Red Sea App is also a plus as it contains lots of information regarding the fleece roller and all of the other options.
I am looking forward to seeing its full capability when the tank gets fully stocked.

Anyways, a little long winded, but that's my experience with roller mats over the last couple of years. NOT GOING BACK TO SOCKS!!!
Old 01-27-2023, 08:58 PM
Gold Member

I chose the Bubble Magus ARF-L for the 1.5" piping as my 300g is plumbed with 2" and I didn't want to reduce too much. I heard many stories about replacement rolls not working as well but so far, I'm on my 3rd roll in 14 months including the original. I still have about 3 days left on this one. It's about $30 for refill.
I've heard really great things about the Red Sea if it is the right size for you.