Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-24-2011, 03:19 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillegom View Post
Sorry to hear that too Brad.
Will you be getting a replacement?
Yes, but I'll be very patient to find the right fish. I'm thinking a blue throat, sargassum or
Crosshatch...but it will have to be small and young. I have not seen too many like that. I should probably find a job before buying a crosshatch!
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 01-24-2011, 03:23 AM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about Hera
Old 01-24-2011, 05:55 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Really sorry to hear this.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:43 AM

ensquire is on a distinguished road

[quote=untamed;242243]I got tired of removing the skimmer cup every time it got full....so I put this little modification on yesterday. A little 1/4 inch line with a valve on the end so that whenever the cup looks a little full, I can drain it without shutting down the skimmer.

I'll put one other bulkhead in as an emergency overflow. Emergency overflow will just fall back into the tank. If the cup gets too full, the skimmer starts percolating like a coffee maker.

Enjoyed your journal immensely and it was very informative. You have a beautiful tank and basement setup. Congratulations
Where can I get one of these fitting, I need one in the worst way and of course Yellowknife would never have anything like this.
This would do the same thing for me, drain skimmer,one with a 90 degree elbow would be better but I could make this work.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:37 PM

Default Freckles in Trouble!!!

Very sad news, I'm afraid.

Freckles (vlamingi tang) is not doing well. About 3 days ago, I first noticed a white-grey-ish area on his lower right side. At the time, he seemed to be his usual hungry self.

However, over the next two days the area spread in all directions and now covers a significant part of his lower right. A 2nd lesion has now appeared on the upper right, now a third on his upper left. In each case, the lesion seems to have a starting point spreading outward from there. The smaller lesions have a distinct fan shape as a result.

By Day 3, the largest affected area is now showing three very reddish areas along his bend lines. Since this characteristic developed later, I don't think that any physical injury is to blame..athough it looks like he has been scratched by some three-toed beast.

He is now hiding most of the time. When he is tempted out with food, he seems prone to sudden outbursts of very violent and dangerous swimming.

Most concerning is the fact that this looks VERY similar to whatever killed my gold-rim tang nearly 2 years ago. That was a horrible, decaying death which I don't want to see on the scale of Freckles!

He is still eating, so I've been able to get a good bit of Seachem Kanamycin into him.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/sc...+-+5+Gram.html

I have no idea if this is a proper medication for this particular problem. As I read the instructions for differing medications, none really seem to recommend feeding the medication directly to the fish. As of now, there is still no chance of removing Freckles from the tank for external treatment.

I have some Maracyn as well....but the instructions don't say to feed to the fish.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/md...16+Packet.html The ingredients say it is Erythromycin, so that could be effective internally...but I have no idea what might be a safe or unsafe dose.

Any suggestions?
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 02-19-2011, 11:27 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

Any chance of getting him into a quarantine tank with UV while you treat with antibiotics?
Are the 3 slash marks a result of scratching the affected area, or is the white patch a result of something spreading from them? Is he rubbing against objects?
Not nice to see.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:41 PM

No... No rubbing. I get the impression that any touch is painful and that is causing the panic swimming. The white patch is first...as it got larger, the red lines appeared.

It is very unlikely that I could get him out of the tank at this point.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:53 PM

Each antibiotic has a spectrum of bacteria which are susceptible to it, and under-dosing may result in the creation of a bacterial population resistant to the antibiotic that you were using.
I guess if it was my tank I would try to section the tank off using some egg crate and try to catch him. Remove him so the infection and treatment doesn't affect the other aquarium inhabitants.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:57 AM

Erythromycin dosage is recommended at 250 - 500 mg per 20 gallons every 24 hours with a 25% water change before each treatment. Treat for 10 days.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
Erythromycin dosage is recommended at 250 - 500 mg per 20 gallons every 24 hours with a 25% water change before each treatment. Treat for 10 days.
What if I fed it to him? Wouldn't it be more effective than trying to dose the whole tank?