Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-09-2014, 12:13 AM

mohammadali is on a distinguished road
Default catching fish in wild for reefers

here is a video i thought i should share with you guys they way they catch the fish in the ocean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtMs_6Z_jTE
Old 05-09-2014, 02:18 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

It's methods like these and seeing the destruction in person while diving in the philippines the last couple years that made me decide to sell my fish back to the store and pass them on to other members here.
Will be buying captive grown for future purchases.
You should see the damage to reefs from dynamite fishing!

Not reef safe.

Another method is when they cruise around the reefs and slam a big plunger into the water making a pop and big splash which stuns the fish... Easy peesy
Old 05-09-2014, 02:29 AM

Coral Hoarder is on a distinguished road

That's awful most of my fish I made sure were net couggts and the clowns bread I think we have one wrass not sure how they got it
Old 05-09-2014, 02:51 AM

harlequin01 is on a distinguished road

I thought they were catching fish with big nets and then 1 guy with smaller nets stay in the middle where the other bring the net to the center. I think that's how they catch schooling fishes.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:52 AM

Coral Hoarder is on a distinguished road

That's the term net cought
Old 05-09-2014, 12:31 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Did you notice in the video the very precise measurement of the cyanide used! Ya me neither these catching methods are the reason I try and buy only net caught or tank raised fish. I knew they darted mandarians, that thing they spear them with in the video looks pretty big for that little fish, how can that not damage them for life. Probably the reason that most of them have a short life span I think. ( to both these methods )
Old 05-09-2014, 01:29 PM

Bean is on a distinguished road

I watched about 2 min and stopped. The coral reefs to me at least and I'm sure all others that choose to take this hobby up are something to be admired and treasured not destroyed. I'm not one to criticize the economic ways of another country but there's got to be a better way. Ocean's are like the forests, it's a sustainable resource if maintained properly but abuse it like this and it'll end real fast. My reef is for myself a little slice of what I consider paradise, one of earth's most magnificent creations. If I knew that in some way I contributed to the demise of the coral reefs I'd surely change my ways but I do my best to ensure my habits and practices don't. We as reef keepers owe this to ourselves and future generations, keep it clean boys and girls and it'll survive.

Last edited by Bean; 05-09-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:15 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
I watched about 2 min and stopped. The coral reefs to me at least and I'm sure all others that choose to take this hobby up are something to be admired and treasured not destroyed. I'm not one to criticize the economic ways of another country but there's got to be a better way. Ocean's are like the forests, it's a sustainable resource if maintained properly but abuse it like this and it'll end real fast. My reef is for myself a little slice of what I consider paradise, one of earth's most magnificent creations. If I knew that in some way I contributed to the demise of the coral reefs I'd surely change my ways but I do my best to ensure my habits and practices don't. We as reef keepers owe this to ourselves and future generations, keep it clean boys and girls and it'll survive.
Totally agree with you!!
Old 05-09-2014, 08:18 PM

jason604 is on a distinguished road

Poor mandrine