Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-13-2005, 04:00 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road
Default Bought a small Naso, won't eat

Maybe someone else has an idea . I bought a small Naso Tang on Saturday. It refuses to eat. I tried everything including Nori. It shows an interest as food drifts by, but it will grab it, and spit it out right away The last thing I can think of is to try some Caulerpa. Any thoughts

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 04-13-2005, 04:05 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Might be worth a try and you're welcome to some of my caulerpa if you need some, but I kind of have my doubts that will work. No fish of mine has ever developed a taste for it...

Not sure what to suggest. I would think he will eventually get hungry and start taking the offered foods... if not .. then something is not right and his future is possibly limited anyhow.

Have you tried flakes? Maybe some spirulina?

Maybe some nori but offered in a different manner? I.e., if you're doing the rolled up nori-on-a-pipe maybe try some in a clip (or vice versa), or perhaps a small piece tied down with elastic to a small rock.

I haven't fed romaine to my fish in years, but years ago I would, and the one tang I had back then would make quick work of a leaf in a clip. Maybe worth a shot, and then you can wean him onto nori and so on..

Maybe the mysis is too large? Have you tried smaller pieces (maybe try the SW mysis, it's not as good as the FW mysis but it's smaller).. or try chopping the larger pieces down ...

Anyhow, good luck.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Somebody I knew had bought a large Naso from the LFS & it wouldn't eat anything else but grape caulerpa for a month or two. My fish love grape caulerpa & feather so try those if you have access to any.

Good luck.

Anthony
Old 04-13-2005, 04:18 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

I think I have some small pieces of grape still growing somewhere (ugh, hate the stuff, can't seem to eradicate it). If you need some let me know. Also have some razor (I think it's the same species just seems to mutate itself on its own). Anyhow like I said let me know.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:39 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Ross is bringing over some Caulerpa tonight, so I will give that a shot. I have tried OSI flake food also, but so far no luck. . I realise that a fish who won't eat is usually a lost cause, but I hoped someone would have an idea.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 04-13-2005, 04:47 PM

Well, best of luck. I have no idea how naso's are but generally I've found that with most fish that I've had, that it usually takes a few days to get used to the new surroundings and start taking offered foods.. So a few days may not be all that unusual (I'm speculating), but yeah, if it's been since Saturday.. he has to start eating sooner or later... good luck.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:48 PM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bought a small Naso, won't eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_I
It shows an interest as food drifts by, but it will grab it, and spit it out right away
If it's just a few days, I wouldn't worry too much. I've had tangs do the same thing, and they ate once they got hungry enough and had time to adjust to the new tank.

Even had a small Naso do that once, and it went to Tim's tank a hungry pig. My blonde Naso eats everything - and I mean everything. Algae from the refuge, glass scrapings, baby brittle stars, sand, you name it... as well as all the prepared food I can get to him. Then it's "torpedo time." He lives to eat...

Hope you have lots of mysis - have you tried some little shavings of that?
Old 04-13-2005, 07:53 PM

Invigor is on a distinguished road

soaking some food in cyclopeeze might help too, worked for my sailfin tang
Old 04-13-2005, 10:19 PM

pluff is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pluff
Default Naso Tang

My Naso loves Blood Worms... Have you tried those? If not its worth a try.

Good Luck,

Pluff

\"How I wish, how I wish you were here,
We\'re just 2 lost souls sitting in a fish bowl,
Year after year.......\"(Hope it was cycled!)
Pink Floyd
Old 04-13-2005, 10:22 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

boB,

What was it eating at the lfs?

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel