Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-14-2017, 01:53 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
Thanks myka, I had the Oregon tort for bout 2 years it's been a slow grower but it's coming around. We can work out deal on a frag...��

Gyres I run are the 150s. I had a slight breaking period with some excess noise but after that it was all good. I do ran a maxpect dual controller and during pulse it makes some decent noise from the ramp up and ramp down but nothing my ati fans wouldn't drown out lol. Tunzes are the staple pumps, low maintenance and good performer. When ever the power is out, those are my go to pumps. I think flow technology has hit its pinnacle. I can't see them making it anymore efficient than what they are now all the other brands are just duplicates.
Hey I see Tapatalk fudged my attempted reply to this...

Your ATI fans are noisy? I can't even hear mine! I've heard other people complain about the noise too. I literally can't tell if they are running or not without looking. The only thing I can hear in my tank is the skimmer which is pretty quiet too. The Tunze ATO pump...that's another story! Holy crap that thing is loud! I have 3 of them, they are all loud! I agree with you on the pumps. It's a race to the bottom now, and I'm going to be awfully mad if some "poop" company puts Tunze out of business. I'm concerned when they've been talking about a new pump controller for like 2 years, but haven't put it out yet (that I know of).

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 02-14-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:35 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Hey I see Tapatalk fudged my attempted reply to this...

Your ATI fans are noisy? I can't even hear mine! I've heard other people complain about the noise too. I literally can't tell if they are running or not without looking. The only thing I can hear in my tank is the skimmer which is pretty quiet too. The Tunze ATO pump...that's another story! Holy crap that thing is loud! I have 3 of them, they are all loud! I agree with you on the pumps. It's a race to the bottom now, and I'm going to be awfully mad if some "poop" company puts Tunze out of business. I'm concerned when they've been talking about a new pump controller for like 2 years, but haven't put it out yet (that I know of).
I got the none-dimmable version so those fans are brutally loud at 9v which is recommended by ATI, I contacted ATI us and they said to run them at a lower speed but I have been told that they will shorten the life of the bulbs and ballast if it's ran below 9v. I have learned to live with it but it sure is nice when they turn off at 10 pm lol

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 02-15-2017, 10:25 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Are these the fans that look like they belong in a computer?
If so, I have had great success in quietening them down, by using a drop of oil.
You peel back the sticker that is on one side and add a drop of light machine oil, like three in one, or turbine oil.
Worked for me
Old 02-15-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillegom View Post
Are these the fans that look like they belong in a computer?
If so, I have had great success in quietening them down, by using a drop of oil.
You peel back the sticker that is on one side and add a drop of light machine oil, like three in one, or turbine oil.
Worked for me
I will definitely try that, thanks pal!

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 02-15-2017, 11:14 PM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I also find fans on my Ati a bit noisy. Have 5 of them in my unit... I replaced one with a computer fan before and still a bit noisy. I went to a store in Langley ( can't remember the name at the moment but not a computer store) and I opted for the cheapest one , they vary from $2 to $15 if I remember correctly , and apparently the more expensive one are more quiet, the one I got I think paid like 2.50 for it , fits good and is just a bit fatter than the Ati ones, and slightly quieter ...
Just to be clear mine are not super loud but I can hear them drawing air, don't expect to be dead silent lol...
By the way your pics looks great, will like to see the full tank one day... I'm just afraid going to get more in to it than I'm already ahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2017, 06:11 AM
LOVES STAR WARS... mostly Ewoks and Porgs.

hunggi74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Please baller! Just buy a dimmable ATI already! It's only money!!💰💰💰🌳
Old 02-16-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunggi74 View Post
Please baller! Just buy a dimmable ATI already! It's only money!!💰💰💰🌳
Sell me yours and you go and get the hybrid......it's only money...

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 02-16-2017, 08:10 PM
LOVES STAR WARS... mostly Ewoks and Porgs.

hunggi74 is on a distinguished road

Just looked at your thread stats..is this not the most viewed tank journal? Do you get a prize? ATI dimmable? This thread draws people in...
Old 02-16-2017, 10:01 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunggi74 View Post
Just looked at your thread stats..is this not the most viewed tank journal? Do you get a prize? ATI dimmable? This thread draws people in...
4th place gets you nothin.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galizio View Post
I also find fans on my Ati a bit noisy. Have 5 of them in my unit... I replaced one with a computer fan before and still a bit noisy. I went to a store in Langley ( can't remember the name at the moment but not a computer store) and I opted for the cheapest one , they vary from $2 to $15 if I remember correctly , and apparently the more expensive one are more quiet, the one I got I think paid like 2.50 for it , fits good and is just a bit fatter than the Ati ones, and slightly quieter ...
Just to be clear mine are not super loud but I can hear them drawing air, don't expect to be dead silent lol...
By the way your pics looks great, will like to see the full tank one day... I'm just afraid going to get more in to it than I'm already ahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I will take a look. I sourced out some noctua fans that has better cfm ratings and supposed to be extremely quiet but I will try the oil trick first.

Come by any time, don't be shy. lol

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013