Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-21-2008, 03:45 PM

jslaney is on a distinguished road
Default Base Rock

I am interested in using Caribsea Reef Rock from JandL as base rock for my tank.

The website does not talk about the average size of each peace. Has anyone bought this stuff? I want average Liverock sizes (6-8").

Here is the link.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/cs...-+50+lbs..html

Thanks in advance,

Jon.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:53 PM

rzadun is on a distinguished road
Default base rock

I have about 150 pounds of this stuff in Red Deer. I was going to start a fourth salt tank but changed my mind. Various sizes and shapes. let me know if you want to buy some at $2.00 a pound
Old 09-21-2008, 04:37 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

The largest pieces will be about 6-7", but most will be about 4-5". Personally, I don't think this is very good to use as live rock. For one, it's ugly, but most importantly it isn't porous enough to promote anaerobic denitrification. I think the only use for it is to put in the sump if you don't want to spend a bunch of money on real live rock to fill your sump.

If you want to keep your costs down try using EcoRox from www.bulkreefsupply.com read their shipping policies. Their shipping and brokerage is awesome.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:31 PM

Zylumn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
but most importantly it isn't porous enough to promote anaerobic denitrification. I think the only use for it is to put in the sump
jslaney Myka is correct in the first part of her statement as it is not very porous but putting it in the sump would just displace beneficial water lowering your total water volume.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:41 AM

jslaney is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks

Thanks Myka and Zylumn, I checked out that web site and it looked really good so I bought some. As most live rock I see now days does not have any interesting life on it anyways, I will just seed this dead stuff with a couple live pieces and I should have some quality live rock in a couple months for a quarter of the price.

rzadun thanks for the offer, I will give you a shout next time I am I head up there as I may need a couple extra pieces. I am not sure how far what I have purchased will get me.

Stoked.