Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-04-2016, 02:30 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokareefer View Post
100% effective aiptasia remover.
For some reason, when I read that sentence I picture a mushroom cloud.

I think I have unresolved tension with aptasia...
Old 05-04-2016, 02:46 AM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
For some reason, when I read that sentence I picture a mushroom cloud.

I think I have unresolved tension with aptasia...
Me too. Sometimes peppermint shrimp work for people but sometimes they don't.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:15 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
They're doing theirs through spectral analysis of a reactant test... never made sense to me to do it that way. Too complicated. Too many things to go wrong. No wonder they are struggling!

I was doing some reading tonight and it seems it should be fairly straight forward to make a carbonate selective electrode (provided I can synthesize a molecular tweezer ). In fact, I think I could put pH, Calc, Alk and Nitrate all on the same electrode.
You can do it!!! If you could design something usable, accurate, and marketable you could do quite well for yourself.
Quote:
What kind of precision would people want for calc/alk measurements? Most test kits only give you 5% precision (i.e. 400 ppm ± 20 ppm), Elos is a bit better around 2.5%. Is that good enough? Is there a need or want to go better than that?
5% accuracy is fine -that's what we're all used to anyway. More accuracy is better of course. I don't think you could market something with less accuracy than test kits.

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:03 AM

DiscusZ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DiscusZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
I've had 100% success rate with Peppermint Shrimp.
Same here
Old 05-04-2016, 07:12 AM
Han Solo

Ram3500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
I've had 100% success rate with Peppermint Shrimp.
I have spent at least 200$ on peppermint shrimp in the last year with zero luck. And I am going through a bottle of aiptasia x every two weeks. My last hope is a copperband butterfly . I am hoping Jl has stock soon. I have hundreds of them in my reef this pest taking over my tank
Old 05-04-2016, 08:33 AM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram3500 View Post
I have spent at least 200$ on peppermint shrimp in the last year with zero luck. And I am going through a bottle of aiptasia x every two weeks. My last hope is a copperband butterfly . I am hoping Jl has stock soon. I have hundreds of them in my reef this pest taking over my tank
There's 2 kinds of peppermint shrimp, only one kind eats aiptasia
Old 05-04-2016, 02:31 PM

ReefGrrl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They're doing theirs through spectral analysis of a reactant test... never made sense to me to do it that way. Too complicated. Too many things to go wrong. No wonder they are struggling!

I was doing some reading tonight and it seems it should be fairly straight forward to make a carbonate selective electrode (provided I can synthesize a molecular tweezer ). In fact, I think I could put pH, Calc, Alk and Nitrate all on the same electrode.
Yes please!! I had no idea how critical testing and monitoring is, until I started keeping a mixed reef. And the main drawback to testing is what a PITA it is using test kits. And if one has the 649 lotto funds waiting in one's bank account to buy fiddly probes and all the associated paraphernalia, there is still the ongoing expense of probes and such. And the required furniture to store it all.

I'm diabetic and blood glucose monitors have come a very long way since the very first, paperback-sized one I had 35 years ago. Now they read the blood drop itself, where back then it was spectral analysis of the reactant strip. Of course they are also much smaller now but that would be a lesser consideration for me personally when it came to a saltwater parameter measurement device.

The glucose monitor I have now is an accuchek compact, which uses a pre-loaded barrel of 17 tests - the "test strips" basically function like flat pipettes that draw the blood into a transparent chamber for the optical reader to scan. I've often wondered if this principle could be applied to testing saltwater parameters of various types. The "test strips" cost about $1 each at retail, however they don't have any chemical or electronic function, purely mechanical - and of course they are the way the meter companies make their money because the meters are free to diabetics.

I'd pay good money for something that measures salt water, which for me would be up to $200 if ongoing expenses for stuff like calibration were very low or non-existent. If there were significant ongoing expenses, my limit would be maybe $150 because of the time a single device would save.

This has been a big hmmmmmm...... in my mind for a while now. I picture something that would read an entire spectrum and output levels of each parameter, perhaps to an app of some type.

Well, we are blue-skying, right?

Sorry for the long post - I don't know if this is any help.