Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-01-2014, 02:06 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Any idea what the prognosis for the clam is for the future?
Old 04-01-2014, 03:22 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

That's incredible! Wow. Nice suggestion Tim and kudos to you Christy for following through on that.

I remember a few years back about how a clam had a rock land on it and cracked the shell, the aquarist superglued the pieces back together and the clam lived. So you would be surprised at how resilient they can be if you get to them in time.

Interesting how you mentioned that there are ricordea's near the base. I have a derasa exhibiting similar symptoms (inhalant siphon slightly sunken, not expanding as much as normal, etc.) and I noticed there is a ricordia somewhat near the side that is showing irritation. I was considering getting in there and removing the ricordea but I wasn't convinced that there was a connection, now I'm not sure there isn't a connection..
Old 04-01-2014, 11:12 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexifd View Post

thats a big pair of bubble algae on the right side of clam.
thanks for noticing I like to watch them get really big and then when people come over, they ask why I have marbles in my tank. It gives them something to talk about besides "Dory!"

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:21 PM
Staff

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I will have a lucrative clam prosthetics business and make a killing as that cost me less than $2 to do.

The hinge is normally made out of um, crap, I think its chitin but don't quote me on that. I have no idea what happened, I've had it happen before and I believe it ultimately led to the demise of the clam as there is nothing to restrict how far the two shells will part, except for the adductor muscle/ligament which becomes stretched and ultimately the clam puts all of its energy towards holding the two shells at a certain point and it becomes stressed and dies (my theory). It doesn't grow back to my knowledge. Its clearly gone and just isn't repairable even if it could repair itself. So far the clam seems to be ok with opening and retracting. I haven't had a look at it with the lights off but the larger clams never close up fully anyways.

I have no idea of future prognosis. I like to think the clam can live for years like this. Its looking even better today than it was a few days ago so I am feeling positive. Here are some more photos:

even yesterday I couldn't see that little flap of mantle that is tucked in there (and looking like it will emerge at any time). It looks promising to me

Tony, I'd definitely get in there and have a look at your clam. I have no idea what disintegrates the hinge or if the ricordeas can even do any damage but you just never know. Can't hurt to look

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:56 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Looking good Christy.

I would be interested to see if the clam survives long term and how the shell growth pattern is modified due to the replacement hip oops I mean hinge.

Good Work!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 02:28 AM

makana is on a distinguished road

Everything I read said that it can't grow back. About a year ago mine my clam lost almost all of it. I placed it in a more secure location and a couple months later a couple threads grew out to the rock. Today it has almost a full foot stuck on the rock.

Livestock: clown fish, chromis, coral beauty.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by makana View Post
Everything I read said that it can't grow back. About a year ago mine my clam lost almost all of it. I placed it in a more secure location and a couple months later a couple threads grew out to the rock. Today it has almost a full foot stuck on the rock.

The foot and the hinge are two different parts on either "end" of the clam. The hinge will never grow back, the foot will never be lost (the clam would be dead as it is a major part of the internal tissues) and is only for mobility but the byssal gland, which produces the threads to attach to rock, can be damaged enough that it will no longer produce the threads (I do believe that larger clams will no longer produce the threads as they are heavy enough to stay put without attaching). Its likely that your clam lost its byssal threads and took awhile for the gland to recover and start producing again.

My 180 Build